cortisone suppositories for hemmorhoids

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

cortisone suppositories for hemmorhoids

Postby beth22 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:15 am

My GI prescribed some suppositories tha have cortisone in them to treat hemmorhoids and inflammation as a result of my c diff experience. I am worried that the cortisone could cause a relapse. Has anyone used these types of suppositories post c diff or do you know if they can cause relapses?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 01, 2010 2:25 am

Beth,
Cortisone shouldn't cause a C. diff. relapse, but I would check with your pharmacists to make "double sure." There are other treatments for hemms. -- believe "sitz" baths are one. My mother was on the supps. for the same reason, and they helped her.

I have atopic dermatitis -- I believe it's yet another "leftover" from C. diff. (My dermo. & GI agree) BCD, never had skin problems -- even as a teenager -- millions of years ago,

Now, particularly when I am stressed (much of the time), my face breaks out in a rash that bleeds, and it even affects my scalp. The dermo. prescribed a steroid cream which I've had to use "off and on" for years. It never caused a C. diff. relapse. I don't know if using a cortisone supp. would be different.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:39 pm

I had a lot of problems with hems during and after cdiff. My GI doc prescribed hydrocortisone cream 2.5%, and that didn't seem to cause any cdiff-type problems. (Also, I have had cortisone shots twice since recovering from cdiff, once in my knee and once in my hip. Neither one gave me any cdiff-type problems. But I don't know if this translates to cortisone cream.)

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Interesting Bobbie, since cdiff I get a horrible rash especially from heat. I can't even sit out in the sun anymore. Did heat make things worse for you?

Beth, I'd be surprised if cortisone would make things worse. I've got them too and just use an OTC cream.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 01, 2010 3:04 pm

I will ask if there is a cortisone cream instead. I used the suppositories years ago before c diff. The OTC won't work because I have raw skin inside as well which needs to heal, so that is why I have to use something with cortisone. Thanks for the responses.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”