How much probiotics to take

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
chrissy72
Regular User

How much probiotics to take

Postby chrissy72 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:00 pm

How much probiotics are healthy to take? I have one brand that has 1 billion in it and one that has something like 9 billion. Does the difference really matter? And can you actually take too much?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:34 pm

Some brands have hundreds of billions, but yes, too much can give D* and cramping.

chrissy72
Regular User

Postby chrissy72 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Ever since I increased the amount I'm taking, I'm having terrible gas cramps. I wonder if that's what's causing it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 am

Most likely that is what is causing it. That's what happens to me. The doctor told me to just take part of a capsule and that is what I do. I empty a little into applesauce and take it like that. You might try different probiotics. Some did not agree with me at all. I take VSL#3 and only a small amount as each capsule has 125 billion, so I don't need that much. I tried Align, Culturelle, Ultra Flora DF, Florastor, and they did not agree with me. Ask your GI if he has samples of probiotics that you can try - that way you can see which one is better for you. Florastor was the worst for gas for me, but they all did that and some also D* and cramping.

pwood62
Regular Contributor

Postby pwood62 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:58 am

Yes Probiotics can cause some bad gas pains. Florastor was the worst for me. Pearls say they help with gas pains and work the best for me. I think it is trial and error and whatever works best for each individual.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”