Hair loss

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
nolagirl
Contributor

Hair loss

Postby nolagirl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 am

I have been dealing with C Diff for 4 months now. I have been on Flagyl, Alinia and now Vanco. I am experiencing hair loss for the first time in my life. I have a very thick hair.

Has anyone noticed hair loss after being on meds for the C Diff? I've done a little research and apparently hair loss can occur after major illness and stress...

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this...

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:37 pm

I had it many years ago after a severe upper respiratory infection. I know I was on antibiotics,but I don't remember which ones - maybe erythromycin. It all grew back though. I think I started taking more vitamins and eating well. Not eating well can do this also. A friend of mine that is a vegetarian was not getting enough protein and had hair loss. She too got better when she started eating more protein.

It also occurs after pregnancy - very common for that. Hormonal changes in menopause can also do it.

nolagirl
Contributor

Postby nolagirl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks, Beth! I have been taking a handful of vitamins now for about 3 months. Made sure to add the supplements for "hair loss" about 2 weeks ago. LOL. I noticed more has come out in the front of my scalp recently. The scant research I did online also suggests it will grow back. I sure hope so!!

Thanks for tip on the protien. I am also a vegetarian and have started to work more protien into my diet. All the more reason, now... :D

mayotte
Contributor

Postby mayotte » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 am

I also had hair loss while battling c.diff, and for a few months after. Mine stopped after I was able to eat more. The MD said it was probably from the lack of nutrition while I was sick.

pwood62
Regular Contributor

Postby pwood62 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Yes I have had alot of hair loss. I attribute it to the medicine and poor nutrition since I ate next to nothing when I had C-Diff. I think it will get better as we heal. I have read Biotin helps so I got some. Worth a try. Big multi-vitamins upset my stomach so I am not taking those just trying to eat healthy. Good Luck!

nolagirl
Contributor

Postby nolagirl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Roy, thanks for that much needed laugh. Yep, for a woman, losing hair is somewhat traumatic. Trying not to focus on it when I look in the mirror. haha. I am looking forward to my hair growing back real soon! Thanks for tip on Biotin. I have incorporated that supplement into my vitamin taking regimen.

have a nice weekend everybody!

ginabc
Contributor

Postby ginabc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:32 am

i was very sick 6 years ago. I got an unidentified rash all over my body and got a very high fever for 3-4 days. Three months after that I started loosing all my hair. Clumps of hair came out every day. All I would have to do is run my fingers through my hair. At that point I stopped taking birth control pills just be safe and after 3 months the hair stopped failing out and grew back. Noone could tell me why it happened and when and if it would grow back.
I heard that if you have a serious illness that comprimizies your immune system people get hair loss after recovery. I also read that after a high fever many adults loose hair months later.
I hope your hair grows back like mine did.

Good luck.
Ginbc going beat this thing just dont know when............

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”