How long have people stayed on Vanco?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
deekay
New User

How long have people stayed on Vanco?

Postby deekay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:24 am

Now in my 6th relapse (I am one of the few who tests positive just about every time I relapse) I am back on vancocin and worried how long we can take this drug. I'm been on and off it -- mostly on -- for over 9 months. I'm wondering if some of our seasoned veterans of this disease can make me feel better by telling me how long they had to take it, or whether they are still taking it. I'm on a tapering dose now, this time started with 250 x 4 for two weeks, now on the 250 x 3 for two weeks and so it goes. I've gotten to the point where I don't know if the feeling sick comes from the disease or the medicine. (I sure know when I relapse though, usually about a week or 10 days after stopping vanco) Help! Deekay

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:49 am

Deekay- Not to worry- I have been on vanco at some dosage for more than 8 years and doing okay. I recently was tested once again for systemic absorption and there was 0 which I am very thankful for.
Cindy

pwood62
Regular Contributor

Postby pwood62 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:34 pm

I had 5 or 6 rounds of it (sorry not sure anymore) and I am fine. I am pretty sure that much strong AB contributed to the harsh P-IBS though. Cindy have you had C-Diff for 8 years? I know having to pay for that much Vanco caused us serious financial issues!

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:28 am

Yes, I have been dealing with cdiff for 8 years+.........I have taken vancocin at some strength continuously the full time. Everytime I try to go off I relapse.
Cindy

pwood62
Regular Contributor

Postby pwood62 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:05 am

Cindy are you going to try the infusions? I can't even begin to imagine living with C-Diff for 8 years. The 5 rounds of Vanco we paid for out of pocket cost well over 7000 dollars not to mention all the dr's visits, tests over the counter meds speciliasts. I finally was laid off of my last job because I was so sick all the time. I won't go back to work until I am completely better and that is taking a long time since I have some pretty bad post infectious IBS abd this has been worse at times then the actual C-Diff. I had it for almost 5 monts and almost threw in the towel can;t imagine livinig with it for 8 years. You are stronger than I could ever be.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:40 am

I just had blood work done and my doce said you are the healthiest sick guy I know. I have been on vanco for over a year on and off, no worries.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”