Feeling some hope

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Feeling some hope

Postby Mommy23 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Today I had an appt with an ID doc for the first time.
As he sat and talked to me about the next line of defense I decided that I would mention fecal transplants, something I've been interested in doing for quite some time. He responded to me with disbelief, couldn't believe that I had consider it and get this, he is willing to help! He is fully aware of the success rate and feels it is the best treatment, but never bothers to say anything because no patients will even contemplate the thought! He will need to find a GI willing to help since this procedure has never been done before, but figures it won't be a problem. He said its not rocket science, that being said, I am aware that there are some risks. I will try to get the Dr in Duluth to walk him through the procedure. I finally feel some encouragement after months of treatment failure. Even if for some reason this doesn't happen I'm at the very least, aware that there are Dr's willing to help and I will keep searching until I find another one.
On other note, I followed the advice of someone who suggested going to a teaching hospital as they are on the leading edge of medical procedures and often very open to new ideas. So glad I listened!

He also mentioned that the toxin test is VERY unreliable only 30% accurate and you need at least 3 in a row. At this hospital they have a new stool test that shows the most accurate results. I've forgotten the name, but I'll post it when I find out.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:49 pm

I meant to add this will be the NG tube method as the Dr feels it offers the best defense against Cdiff because it goes from the top down. I also need to get a negative test result before the procedure to ensure that some of the Cdiff is being killed off.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”