Hot flashes, ...c-diff after effects or menopause???

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Hot flashes, ...c-diff after effects or menopause???

Postby klt03301 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:20 pm

I started having these during C Diff...they come and go. They're horrible. My entire body sweats, but they don't last long. I get very cold afterwards. Can have them up to 10-15x a day. I had a hysterectomy (which is when I got C Diff) and was told only one ovary removed. Just 2 weeks ago I was told by my urologist I didn't have either of them. I was so ANGRY! I specifically and repeatedly told the surgeon to leave my healthy one since I'm not a candidate for hormone replacement therapy.

Here's my question....are they still C Diff related, because I get them before having to go to the loo,...but I also get them when I'm stressed or excited. Sometimes they just come on randomly. They didn't start until C Diff. I also feel a strange sensation in my lower abdomen when they come on (exactly the same sensation when I had C Diff), and an odd feeling of inpending doom or panic right before they start...don't know how else to desribe it. I also still have the racing heart problem, which happened during C Diff, and it gets particularly bad after I eat. I also sweat terribly after I eat. I don't have diabetes. I've learned to live with these things, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

Does anyone still have these?

And, if it's hormonal, have any ladies taken a natural product for hot flashes? I'm afraid of taking anything now b/c I don't know how it will affect my flora. My docs say it was not an after effect of C Diff, but...I question that since I'd never had them before, or the racing heart and palpitations, which I've had checked out and my heart's OK.

I've looked up the symptoms of menopause, and yep, it sounds like it...but...that strange sensation in my lower abdomen is worrisome. Feels just like the heaviness/butterlies I had during C Diff.

Any responses would be appreciated. I know CindyM was still having them last year. :-(

Karen

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:13 pm

I have those same symptoms too. They were worse during c diff, especially the heart palpitations, but I've had them while on vanco and when I was c diff free. I was told that it was hormonal - menopause, probably low estrogen and when I use the esterogen cream I don't have them so much. If I use a lot of estrogen cream, they go away, so in my case I'm assuming it is hormonal.

My friend takes Promensil - sold over the counter and it helps her. I used to use a bioidentical estrogen cream, but now only use the Estrace vagincal cream. It helps some, but I don't really want to use the other unless things get especially bad. The Estrace is supposedly safer, given to women who have had breast cancer even the gyn said.

Some of the soy products are supposed to help too. Black cohash is suppoed to help, but I know people who have had bad reactions from it, so be careful.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:32 am

Thanks so much, Beth! What I'm thinking of taking has black cohosh, so I just nixed that. I think I'll use the cream...I've heard that helped someone else. too. I'm going to google Promensil now. Thanks again...can't wait for these things to improve, and I hope they do. They're really the only problems I have right now. :-)

Karen

Jan
Regular Contributor

Postby Jan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:07 am

I had horrible hot flashes and heart palps with active C Diff also. I am 1 year C Diff free (praying it continues) and I am going through menopause, 51 years. The hot flashes persist but not near as bad as they were during C Diff. I now use Evening Primrose Oil, sold at vitamin shops, taking 1,000 IU twice daily and I am noticing a major difference. Hot flashes are not as severe and not as often as they were. I also use Estrace but once a week only. Good luck.
Jan

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:24 pm

Thanks Jan! I saw the Uro-gynecologist yesterday, and yup, I'm in menopause and will start using Estrace cream. I'm 48. I will also pick up that primrose oil today! These hot flashes are so much worse than the ones during C Diff, and I have other symptoms too. She has referred me to a GYN who WILL give me some type of HRT, because she said the cream won't help w/the hot flashes. I'll start the primrose oil first to see if they get better. Hoping something will help with the heart palps, too.

Menopause is one reason I got all those UTIs and residual pain.

Thanks again!

Karen

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”