Resistance to other antibiotics after vanco?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Resistance to other antibiotics after vanco?

Postby klt03301 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:35 am

Has anyone developed resistance to other antibiotics after taking vanco? I'm just curious. It took 4 rounds of 2 different abx for me to get rid of bacteria in urine, (all cultured and appropriate abx given) and prior to C Diff, after 24 hours of taking abx, I felt well and didnt' need a second one. I don't really know if it's resistance or that our bodies don't fight infection well, or maybe the bugs are getting stronger.

Has anyone had this happen? Any thoughts?

Karen

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:08 pm

My mother got a bladder infection when she was at the rehap hospital after having c diff and taking vanco for it. It would not clear and then the culture came back VRE - vancomycin resistant enterrococcus, or something like that. She had to have some AB that only came in IV form - can't remember the name of it, it began with a Z, and I had never heard of it. She was able to get rid of the infection with it, but as I recall did relapse with c diff after that.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”