Negative test ongoing symptoms

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Negative test ongoing symptoms

Postby Mommy23 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:22 am

Well I tested negative after a long 6 week taper, down to 1 pill ever 3rd day.
I waited the dreadful 14 days to retest. Of course, all the symptoms remain with almost no change somewhat worse. Obviously I'll retest within a week but I was wondering how accurate the test would be after a taper and waiting 2 weeks. Last time I retested after 1 week and showed a negative, waited 2 1/2 weeks and got a pos. I'm still trying to convince my GI that I want the infusion since this has been ongoing for 5 months, but he doesn't think I'm sick enough! Great!

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:25 am

I am with you as I am in first week of 8 week taper of vanco...

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:27 am

My apologizes, I didn't mean to post this twice! Sorry

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:31 am

I am ready to do the home infusions, once I get my donor tested.
So do you think the test results mean nothing??

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:49 am

I deleted your duplicate post. I tested negative the day after I was diagnosed by flex sig with p colitis, the worst form of cdiff. There are a lot of false negative test results, so I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:03 pm

I tested negative one day, and positive the next, but that was before any treatment. Different lab, but don't know if that really had anything to do with it. Maybe there was more time for the toxins to build up?

On a side note, after treatment, I still felt so sick that I kept getting tested. I used 3 different labs...probably had 5-6 tests...all negative. It took that to finally convince me I had PI IBS and not C Diff.

Karen

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:20 pm

Thats interesting Karen....in some ways I truly hope it is an accurate negative, but just don't know how that could be possible with the way I am feeling. The only thing that has changed is my BM's have a bit more of a normal color, not solid, still smelly etc.. How long did you still feel ill after testing neg? What helped you feel better? I've been told we can get stuck with IBS for months after. I will continue to retest!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:42 pm

When I first got c diff last year I would test negative between relapses too. Kept telling the doctor I still had symptoms, but at that time did not test positive until there I got nauseated the day before and then got a lot of mucus. I guess the quantity of toxin produced the mucus. The shortest duration before a relapse for me was 17 days and the longest 30 at that time.

This new doctor that I just saw said he sends people for at least 3 tests because he's had patients who have had 6 tests and only one is positive. He told me the tests are not that reliable and I'm inclined to believe him as that was my experience.

Having said that, when I finally tested negative for 7 months (prior to taking AB again) the symptoms were there, but were different and it was diagnosed as SIBO.

If your symptoms are exactly the same as with c diff you should ask the doctor about testing several times. It is also possible that the medication and the infection caused you a lot of irritation and this is the aftermath.

I would ask your doctor just how sick you have to be to get him to refer you for an infusion or if you feel you really want one, contact that doctor yourself.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:37 pm

In my first four-year bout with C. diff., I only had two or three positive cultures. (I was originally diagnosed with pseudo. colitis -- worst form -- with a colonscopy). See FAQ-Tests.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:17 pm

Obviously the test isn't too accurate, I guess I will continue to retest. At what point would you actually believe the test results especially if the post ibs can have the same symptoms??

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”