Is this normal??

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
allie1987
Brand New Poster

Is this normal??

Postby allie1987 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:33 pm

OK, so I came down with C diff in August. I had been on Cipro (ironically, for bad diarrhea) for a week before this, so this is the likely culprit. I was back at home in California then.
I did two weeks on Flagyl, but then had to come back to NYC for school. I had finished the Flagyl prescription, but after like a day or two my diarrhea came back, hard. For a month and half or so it was debilitating. I felt so sick. But the toxins came back negative when I went to my Student Health Services. I was then referred to a GI doctor who did a colonoscopy and biopsy which showed that I still DID have C diff, after all. So I started on Vancomycin. After two days on Vancomycin, I came down with a DOUBLE ear infection. It has been so painful. I went back to the Student Health, and they prescribed Bactrim. And since yesterday, I'm feeling the unpleasant symptoms of a UTI. But I have one day left on Vancomycin, and it hasn't helped one bit. Is it possible I need another course? Is it normal for other infections to develop while on it? Could Bactrim be a problem?

btw, I'm 22.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:41 pm

I am not a doctor mind you but I would think your C diff would be unrelated to ear infections. I can tell you that C diff will cause all sorts of weird things in your body because it hits your immune system hard if you have more than a mild case. I had three rounds of flagyl, xifaxin and I have it now for 4th time and I am on 8 week taper of vanco right now. Colestid will help with D(prescription med, known also as Cholyestramine) but you have to space it out 3-4 hrs between Vanco doses so as not to bind the vanco and reduce effectiveness(it says this on Vanco directions). Please follow up with GI or Doc ASAP as you may definitely need another round but you won't know unless they examine you. Hang in there, everyone on this board knows what you are going thru, be diligent and polite with your docs, get the meds you need and you will eventually get better. I was 9 months clear until i just relapsed for no apparent reason. Also, Florastor probiotic is taken by me and many on this board. That can be purchased at most any pharmacy over the counter. GOD BLESS.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:53 pm

Sorry to hear you are going through all this, Allie. Whew...this sounds rough. I would go back to my doc (perhaps getting one other than Student Health...that's just my opinion.) Many of us have had other problems develop during/after C Diff, and I'm sorry to say that I just don't think Student Health is going to be the best option for you, given your C Diff history now. You know, of course, you should avoid antibiotics if possible, and sometimes it isn't.

You may have a UTI, and you DEFINITELY need to get your urine specimen cultured. I will say that I often felt I had a UTI during my early months with C Diff, and my culture never grew anything. I was told my bladder was irritated, along with my colon from C Diff. However, I have since had a particularly difficult UTI that was very hard to get rid of and have taken antibiotics. I continue to have symptoms of UTI.

Always get the samples cultured so they will know which antibiotic will kill the bacteria. Bactrim is used to treat some UTIs, but....it depends upon the type of bacteria you have, as it may be resistant to it. This is why it's so important to get it cultured...preferably before you start an antibiotic. Some docs will just throw Cipro at you for a UTI before even culturing when Cipro may not even kill that bacteria.

If it were me, I'd strongly consider going elsewhere for my health care, and I'd do it as soon as possible. Just my opinion. Others here have felt C Diff compromised their immune systems, leaving them to develop other types of infections. I've been fine other than the UTI symptoms.

BTW...if your double ear infection was viral, no antibiotic would help.

Please let us know how things are going! I'm wishing you better health!

Karen

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:10 pm

"Some docs will just throw Cipro at you for a UTI before even culturing when Cipro may not even kill that bacteria."

Should have added this: "when Cipro may not even kill that bacteria, or you don't even have a UTI...sometimes they base it on symptoms alone."

Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:19 am

allie1987,
Standard Introduction
Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics – especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ – especially Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

The majority (almost 80%) recovers with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin, but an unlucky small percentage does not and can suffer for months. Everyone eventually recovers, however, unless other factors are involved (advanced age, other severe health problems). If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff. be careful about taking them again. (See FAQ-Antibiotics.) Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop C. diff. again. (See Dr. Borody’s article.)

Questions
Re. your UTI: Do what Karen suggested. Do not take an antibiotic for a UTI with your history of C. diff. unless your doc. determines it is absolutely necessary with a culture. Often, Macrobid will work for UTI's -- especially if the infection is caused by E. coli. (Many are.) Macrobid is one of the "safer" antibiotics. I am on a maintenance dose of it daily for chronic UTI's & other reasons. Drink lots of fluids. Sometimes, you can "wash the infecition" away. Be sure and use good hygiene as it is easy (especially for females) to transfer bacteria from "back to front."

Sometimes antibiotic ear drops will work against ear infections.
Docs. aren't prescribing oral antibiotics as often even for small children unless the ear infection is severe. I believe there are also "numbing" ear drops for pain. Consult a doc. and/or pharmacist.

I second the suggestion to see docs. not associated with your student health department. Consult the GI you saw before if you C. diff. continues.

See the hints in FAQ re. both UTI's and other infections.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Also, Cipro is the mainstay for killing off intestinal bugs food water posioning i e E Coli etc... so that is why he prescribed it for your tummy Ills. Again, try natural stuff herbal I don t think it can will kill us LIKE AB's obviously are doing I use to live and swear by them but curse them and will only take if on death s door!

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:09 am

So sorry to hear of your struggles. I've had a number of other infections during my Cdiff battle(never had them before) Cdiff absolutely can cause other infections.
I've heard good things about using cranberry pills to flush out UTI's, or unsweetened cranberry juice.
And the ear drops can work for ear infections.
Hope you start feeling better.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:25 am

With my first bout of cdiff I totally felt like I had a UTI constantly and they finally told me it was just pressure from swelling and prescribed some medicine to take and it cleared it up rather quickly. Since it has been so long I can not remember the name but it started with a P.......it was to relax the spasms in the urinary tract. After the cdiff got controlled I was never bothered again for a LONG time. I also have been told before I had urinary infection and doctors assistant was eager to put me on antibiotic which I refused without culture........guess what? Culture came back and there was no infection. Ended up it was a kidney stone! If I had accepted the antibiotic I would have had to deal with not only relapse of cdiff (worst form) but also the stone. Never will I ever take an antibiotic unless they PROVE to me it is needed through testing.
Cindy

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:02 am

Could have been Pyridium, Cindy? That's what they gave me.

Karen

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:25 am

I meant to tell you..I was also having symptoms of a UTI, it was negative with the culture. It actually ended up being a 7cm ovarian cyst which was unbelievable, I've never had a cyst in my life! The cyst was pushing on my bladder causing symptoms. So you see, either the infection does a lot of damage or the medication.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”