Xifaxin after first relapse?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
janmur
New User

Xifaxin after first relapse?

Postby janmur » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I have appreciated all the information that I've read (the good and the not so comforting) since my diagnosis mid August. I'm pretty sure that I picked up this bug after being in the hopital for two major surgeries (both abdominal) just ten days apart.
Anyway, I was initially put on flagyl by my surgeon 500x3 day for 7 days and it was a total nightmare to get thru it but I did and then relapsed in approx. 1 week. I saw a GI doc and he put me on a vanco taper for 6 weeks and told me that he may also have me on xifaxin for a week afterwards. well I called the office as instructed before I was to finish my taper (which I did yesterday) and sure enough he called in the xifaxin 1200 a day for 10 days. I told him that things had changed a little for me since tapering to 1 vanco every other day but I'm pretty much symptom free. BM are good and no pain. I'm confused and scared to take the Xifaxin and on the other hand scared not to. Any thoughts out there for me? After reading up on Xifaxin I thought it was used for multiple relapse patients??

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:09 am

janmur:

In my opinion you are extremely lucky to have such an aggressive and knowledgible GI. His use of a chaser drug such as xifaxin to further suppress the C-diff that hasn't been taken out by the vanco is a very progressive course of treatment. A course of treatment that can prevent a relapse would be my choice any day ! My GI used the term " kick it while it's down"

Hopefully it will work for you

Fire

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:35 am

janmur,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

Fire gave you some good advice. I hope that the xifaxin kicks it for you. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:53 am

I took the Xifaxan as a chaser this last time and it helped me more than the vanco. I did not take that high of a dose though - I only took one pill 3 x per day, rather than two. However, I have taken 1200 mg per day when I took it in the Spring for SIBO. I found the one pill 3 x per day much easier to take, but then I tapered it as well and it still worked, at least so far. It is about 70 days now since I have been off meds.

I wouldn't be afraid to take the 1200 mg if your doctor feels that is best. If it gives you an upset stomach, you can always ask him about cutting the dose, but like Fire said, it is probably best to kick it while it's down.

janmur
New User

Postby janmur » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Thank you for the encouraging words - I'm gonna kick it while it's down!! Keep you posted.

My son just came home from school with what is probably the flu...chills, nausea, etc. I have a distraction now that will definitely keep my mind off my meds. Keep ya posted on this too! Thanks to all again!
Janet

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”