Probiotic enema and pulsing/tapering

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jaredkep
New User

Probiotic enema and pulsing/tapering

Postby jaredkep » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:06 am

Soon I will be getting yet another prescription for vanco which will be 250mg 4x day for 10 days is it possible to pulse or taper with this amount.
I would also like to try a probiotic enema but I'm not sure at what point I should administer this. thanks for all the help everyone.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:00 am

What was finally successful for me in beating cdiff was very long pulse, over a period of 4 months. See the FAQ section for more info. So to answer your question, 10 days worth of vanco wouldn't be enough to do the pulse I did.

Prior to that, my doc told me to do a short taper after 10 days of vanco (3/day): 4 days of 2 vanco/day and then 4 days of 1 vanco/day. Then I relapsed after 5 days. So I think that short tapers (or pulses) are less likely to work. Talk to your doc about doing a longer one. Good luck.

jaredkep
New User

Postby jaredkep » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:15 am

Thanks for the info and reply! I was curious about at what point would a probiotic enema be good after vanco or during?

monacat
Contributor

Postby monacat » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:19 am

This does seem to short. I was on Vanco (my second round) for an 83 day taper. This started off with nearly 3 weeks at 4x250
This seemed to do the trick(5ish months out) but recovery took a while too.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”