Hello new to forum! 4 month c diff patient

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jaredkep
New User

Hello new to forum! 4 month c diff patient

Postby jaredkep » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:05 pm

Hello I would like to introduce myself to everyone in this wonderfull forum!
I have been fighting c diff for about 4 months after recieving 4 types of antibiotics for various infections. Has anyone lost most there taste and smell and have feelings of numbness throught body like novacaine after drinking vanco or is just me? anyways I wish everyone the best with there battle!!

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:09 pm

Welcome to the fun!!! I'm going on 5 months with this beast.
I had some side effects from oral vanco but not the ones you mentioned. I was told Vanco only stays in the gut, but I think otherwise. I actually read somewhere that 15% is absorbed in the blood stream. Are you taking a liquid Vanco, I'm not familiar with that.

I'm sure you will find much support here, everyone is really helpful.
Hope you get well soon.

jaredkep
New User

Postby jaredkep » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:41 am

Yes liquid form what I've been told it's the same stuff they use for a IV they just mix the powder with water give me my script in a bottle.It tastes like rotten onions but now I can't really taste it.

jaredkep
New User

Postby jaredkep » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:51 am

I hope you get well soon too! As well as everyone suffering from this horrid creature. I plan on doing some different things this round because this vanco is causing bad fungal yeast infection on body for months. I think I'll try pulsing and a probiotic enema I do take probiotics daily and if that doesn't work I might be able to get a fecal transplant by going to a GI in Oakland Ca. that a kind person on here told me about I will let everyone know how things go so hopefully I can share a sucess story to help others don't give up and try to stay positive!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:00 pm

jaredkep,
You've referred to "drinking Vanco." several times in your post. Please explain. The liquid form of Vanco. is usually converted to pills. (Prior to C. diff., Vanco. was administered by IV only.)

robjay155
Brand New Poster

Postby robjay155 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:13 am

My doctor told me about using the IV vanco solution orally, but said, it can be a bit difficult to administer. Also, the pharmacy told me that you have to refrigerate the solution and that it stays stable for about 14 days. But my ID doctor did say it was more affordable.

I'm on vanco right now (125 x 4 times / day) and opted for the pills, since it is more convenient and I'm able to get a few hours of work in that way.

Anyway, I'm just simply passing along what I was told, I'm not a doctor, so check things out for yourself.

jaredkep
New User

Postby jaredkep » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:29 pm

Yes correct the vanco is in a powder form from what i understand and its mixed with water for either IV use or to drink. So after 14 days the vanco is no longer effective and should be disposed of robjay155?

robjay155
Brand New Poster

Postby robjay155 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:19 pm

Consult your pharmacist on that one, ask them how long it lasts, how to store it, how to use it properly etc.

They are the ones dispensing it so best to go to the source for info.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:08 pm

robjay,
I just read your case history, so I want to give you the official welcome to the group that no one wants to join. It sounds like you've read a lot already, but be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

I did better on vanco than on Flagyl, so I hope you do too. Your negative test result was very likely a false negative; these are pretty common in cdiff testing. They tell me that everyone beats cdiff eventually. You will too.

Thank you for helping other folks here. I appreciate it. You are very smart to tell people to check things out with their pharmacist or doctor.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”