IBS pain in the back?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

IBS pain in the back?

Postby anlockwood » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Has anyone ever had an IBS attack that they feel the pain around in their back? I don't want to be too graphic but it was straight across my back where a bra strap would run and then across the front also. It came on gradual with multiple bm's that ended up in D but the pain got so bad I couldn't get off the freaking floor and almost passed out. Had to call an ambulance because this was worse then labor. I have had bad abdominal pain once last year that ended the same way in the ER but I never had it around to my back and this was even more severe then that. They ran tests on me but weren't able to find anything big shocker. I get so tired of these trips to the ER for stuff they can't find. I just wondered if this is possibly IBS.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:35 pm

That sounds so much like a gall bladder attack. I have had two friends, my sister and father in law all described those symptoms over a period of years. They kept having gall bladder checked and Dr's said they were not bad enough to take out. Eventually all of them had them out and all were full of stones. I am not even sure if you still have your gall bladder but that is the first thing that came to mind.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:52 pm

I had my gallbladder removed just over a month ago so I know it is not that. They did a CT scan without contrast to check for kidney stones but didn't find any. I would have thought that too but the Bm's seemed to correlate with the pain so I knew it was something intestinal. I just don't understand what caused it. I figured IBS because I have no other answer and nor did the dr and I am ok now besides sore intestines. So frustrating.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:53 pm

My mom has had that happen and we always thought it was her gall bladder too, but since you don't have one that can't be it. I have had pain there when I've had bad gas before. If it went away after you had the bms, maybe that is what it was. If it happens again, I'd call the doctor and ask. You don't suffer from ulcers or GERD do you?

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:46 pm

I have had IBS for years and I have NEVER had the pain you are describing. I agree with the others it sounds a lot like a gallbladder attack to me. Have you seen your Dr yet? If you have not I strongly recommend that you make an appointment to speak with him/her about what you are going through.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:53 pm

I know you no longer have your gallbladder. I DID have it in my lower back, which caused spasms radiating to my mid back, bottom, and thighs. Also under ribs, going around to the back. Always followed by a need to go and sore intestines. I would definitely have my doc check it out. You have been through so much...I hope they can figure this out!

Wishing you better health...Karen

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks everyone. I called the gastro dr today and am waiting for a call back. The nurse who took the message was puzzled and said they are very weird symptoms so I don't know. I am just so grateful that today I am able to take care of my boys again (God is good)!

Amanda

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Oh my gosh Roy! Oh my gosh!!!!!

I am so so stinking excited you posted that! A million thanks go out to you! I had coconut frosting the night before right before I went to bed!! First time I have had it since the gallbladder operation and I kind of wondered if that caused me the issue because I changed nothing else! Oh you just made my day! I thought I was dying yesterday because the pain was so crazy intense, I wonder why coconut would have that affect. Weird. But oh my goodness thanks a million!

Amanda

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:07 pm

Sound like gall bladder attack to me as well. I've have had similiar pain in upper right side of stomach radiating around to my back and ended up at hospital. Gall Bladder was sluggish, but not inflamed to the point of having it removed.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks again Roy and Kathy!

I am sure it was to do with having my gallbladder removed and then eating the coconut. I will never touch coconut again! I am just glad I have pinpointed it so that I can avoid it.

When I had my gallbladder out they said it was chronically inflamed so I made the right decision to have it removed and now it will be a learning experience on what not to eat.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”