Differentiating between IBS & C. Diff.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lola
New User

Postby lola » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:25 am

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to successfully differentiate between IBS and C. Diff. Or, is it too individual and variable to generalize from one person to the next. Given that toxins can remain in the stool for some weeks, at least, (don't know how long), and that testing isn't therefore a reliable means of knowing whether it's a relapse or IBS, how is one to know? Obviously, I am in that situation now. I'm thinking it is a relapse, but can't be really sure. Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.
Lola

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:10 am

The three day rule is what most here swear by. I think you can find it under FAQ, three day rule. IBS will ussually not last 3 days although there are people on here who have had it go that long but is much more rare. I would immediately switch to the BRAT diet and see if that helps. I think it is very individual. With my original bout I had a few times where I was sure I was relapsing but waited it out and by the end of the day was better but I have heard people who went through a round of bad IBS for a week. If you are really not feeling well the best thing to do is contact your dr. I know by the 3rd day if I am relapsing as the 3rd day is when I get violently ill. I pray you are not relapsing. If you are though know you will beat it eventually. I spent a year fearing a relapse and I have to say that facing the actual thing is much easier then my fear was for the last year.

Amanda

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:44 am

I just speak for me here. I WAS C diff free for a few months and just recently relapsed. Looking back over the last couple of months what I thought was IBS was indeed C diff. For me it is ALWAYS C diff when I pass mucous and I was going maybe 3-5 times a day, nothing like the first two times where I was going 30-40 times a day and EXTREMELY PAINFUL with Colitis. Leading up to where I began to pass mucous I would have maybe 1-2 days a week with D and several BM's then it would go away. I was not on antibiotics but was taking a lot of probiotics which I think made it less severe this time. I am on 3rd week of Xifaxin and will be tested again Nov. 16th -20th. Everyone is indeed different.

lola
New User

Postby lola » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 am

Thank you all for your help. All of it useful, and I appreciate it.
Lola

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”