new to group - need advice

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
deekay
New User

new to group - need advice

Postby deekay » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:40 am

I am so happy to find this group. For the last few weeks I have just been reading your comments and found many helpful facts. But I think it's time to write. I am on my third dose of Vancocin in 2 1/2 months. The first two times on 125 x 4 a day, the symptoms came back after 4 days and 6 days respectively. The second time I wound up in the hospital emergency room. Now I am on 250 x4 for 3 weeks. I so want it to work and now on my 12th day I have had some really good days when I don't even think about the c-diff for hours. But I feel unsettled today and down in the dumps. I know stress can be a problem and I try to remain optimistic, but as many of you know this is so scary, not knowing if it will ever stop. I had c-diff 12 years ago after again too many antibiotics and was given the 250. it didn't come back for all these years, but now this recurring has taken over my life. I take 2 S.bourlardis and one multi-acidophlus a day. Anything else you think I should be doing? I was thinking of trying to take up yoga to relieve the nerves of this waiting to see if I get well again. Wow this is bad, isn't it? DeeKay
p.s. What I find interesting is that so many of us with c-diff from antibiotics have allergies to many things and are allergic to other antibiotics which make our cases so much more difficult. I even had an allergic reaction to florastor ( I think it was the blue color dye)

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:04 am

Take heart! I relapsed again after 10 months and the fear of relapsing is worse that actually relapsing. Don't get me wrong, I wish I did not have to deal with it but I just figured, everyone is fighting something and this is mine. The good news is I have been on Xifaxin taper for two weeks, four more to go. I feel great at this point, everything is normal. What will happen when I go off, no idea but I know the signs and I will head right back to my GI and he will set me up. Stay positive and smack it in the face. I was in hospital for 30 days total, 5 times my first two go rounds so I know about the weight loss, constant agony of colitis and depression, been there. You will get thru it and if it rears its head, take the meds and move forward, don't worry about tomorrow, GOD BLESS and I pray it goes totally away for you!

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:00 am

I'm so sorry you are struggling with this again. It truly is the most frustrating illness.
I think in the beginning the "fear" was worse than the actual illness. Now that I've got a handle on that I'm just taking one day at a time.

I think our bodies take a beating with this and the affects are far more spread than most think. Our body is fighting a major infection. This week I'm meeting with a holistic dr, who is both medically trained and holistically trained. She focuses on the entire body, instead of one element. So many Dr have their "specialty" and really don't look at things like a puzzle.

I think you are off to a good start, if the probiotics are helping then continue or at least check with your Dr for their recommendations. I'm new to this site too, but have been struggling with it for 4 months now. I don't really have any other suggestions because nothing helps my symptoms!
Blessings

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:02 am

deekay,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. It sounds like you've done a lot of reading already, but be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

Pulsing vanco was what finally worked for me, after 8 months of cdiff. See the FAQ section for more info. Primadophilus reuteri was the only probiotic that I can say for sure helped me (I took 4). It gave me my appetite back, so I could stop losing weight. I lost 27 pounds in my first 3 months. And as you know, anything that relieves stress is helpful. See the FAQ section for info on dealing with stress; I think it's under Coping with Cdiff. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

deekay
New User

thank you all, I will try to keep spirits up

Postby deekay » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:41 am

Thank you all, so much for your comments. You are right. It is this fear that is taking over. With this illness, I feel so sick to my stomach when the stirrings start, and then I get nervous about how bad it's all going to be and will the medicine work this time and will it finally end?
You have given me the courage to just bear down on these nerves and take what comes. Maybe that's easier to write than to do, but I will try. I have taken notes on some of your suggestions for products and will keep those in mind.
And thank you too, Roy for your comments. You are right. There are many products such as wine and its sulphur content that I have an intolerance to rather than an allergy. Unfortunately I suffer from both allergies and intolerances. As I tell my husband I am "the princess and the pea." Also I didn't mean the 12 years ago to this bout was a recurrence. They are calling the recurrences these last few months of flare-ups.
So I will await the end of this dose of Vanco and see what happens. I just worry how much Vancocin my body can tolerate. Thank you all again, I will keep reading and hoping that I can be one of your success stories. DK

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:12 pm

deekay,
I can't add much to what Roy and Nancy said except welcome to the group. C. diff. is a "roller coaster ride" emotionally, physically, and financially.

Know you are familiar with C. diff. since your last bout. My son had C. diff. in l979 and again about 6 years later. I had it in l993 (4 yr. bout -- extenuating circumstances -- additional infections) and again two years later when I had another bout with pneumonia. Do try to stay away from antibiotics -- if possible.

Be sure and get your flu shot, a pneumonia shot if you haven't had one, and perhaps the new "swine flu" shot. I'm going to wait on that one until it's been out a couple of weeks as I, too, have a lot of problems with reactions and allergies.

Bobbie

deekay
New User

Postby deekay » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks Bobbie for your comments.
I had a reaction to a flu shot in college(decades ago) which put me in the college infirmary for a week. So I don't take flu shots. I am truly the princess and the pea, aren't I? Wish I had the royal fortune to go with it.
Thanks again to all of you for being there. dk

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”