Low White Blood Count

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Low White Blood Count

Postby anlockwood » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone had experienced low white blood count from Vanco or during c diff. I know mine should be the opposite but it has remained low for this entire week. My dr said maybe it could be the vanco but I hadn't heard that from anyone else before. I am going to have my globulin(sp?) levels checked next week. My mom has some sort of health issue where she has always had low white blood cells and has to get IVIG transfusions monthly(I think that is what they are called).

Amanda

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:58 pm

Yes, vanco did lower my white blood count. It made me really tired too. So much for it not going into your system. I think a little does get into the bloodstream. After I stopped the vanco it still took a few weeks for the fatigue to get better and the count to go up.

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:46 pm

About 15% of oral vancomycin gets into the bloodstream.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:11 am

Hua- I believe that but my doctors do not agree saying it is not absorbed. I however can not see what would keep it from it.
Cindy

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:17 am

cindym, they may not know about Google. I found one reference with a chart showing serum levels in ten patients taking oral vancomycin. Levels ranged from undetectable to 3.1mg/liter, so at least some people do absorb some of the drug.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagere ... ageindex=1

--Hua Kul

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Hua- Thanks for the article and I will present this to my doc next week at my visit. I have argued with him for years that I felt it had to be systemic to some degree and also had a dentist (oral surgeon) tell me it did. Truthfully I do not feel any of the doctors that are treating me are googling or anything else and merely read their monthly newsletters and journals for new info. Just my opinion but it sure seems that way.
Cindy

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”