Interesting article on a new antibiotic targeting Cdiff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Interesting article on a new antibiotic targeting Cdiff

Postby Mommy23 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:58 pm

When I learned about my lovely infection I had never heard of it before.
In fact, when I tested positive my GP didn't even tell me what I had. Good old google helped me figure it out four months ago, since then I've learned so much more about this illness.
Anyways, I came across this article that may be of interest. A new study for another antibiotic to fight the infection.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... key=105635

I'm sure you could google it to find more info(google seems to know more than my Dr does)

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Very interesting article. Since this antibiotic seems to target only cdiff, that's encouraging, as it should mean that it leaves the rest of our good gut bugs alone. I surely hope further testing shows that it is effective in people.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

article

Postby Mia-Mia » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Wow thanks for That. i hope they get a move on this. I just wish more States did the stool infusion. I mean it works why not have it nore avaliable to people. why arent more doctors doing them if we know they work.

jaredkep
New User

Postby jaredkep » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:42 pm

I just went to emergency today to get some more of that yummy vanco that we all love to drink! anyways, I inquired about fecal transplants and apparently my county hospital used to do them all the time but because of hepatitis risks they stopped doing these procedures. So I assume this is why alot of hospitals have stopped doing this procedures.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:32 am

The donor is tested for HIV, hepatitis A, B and C as well as having the stool tested for c diff, ova and parasites and they run a culture on it too. Maybe the hospital just didn't want to go through all of that beforehand.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”