Hua Kuls reply to how long recovery takes

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:35 pm

My wife got well overnight.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:53 pm

Hua:

I too am sorry for your loss and hope that you do find peace and healing

Fire

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Thank you Roy and Fire, she did get well in that sense. But I also meant it in terms of healing from cdiff. Lily went from diarrhea and cdiff aroma to no diarrhea overnight (the aroma took two weeks to go away but she never had the diarrhea again), but I am not allowed to post about it. One or more admins always deletes my post.

To recap briefly, Lily was starting her fourth occurrence of cdiff. The first was treated with flagyl and the second two with vancomycin. Each time the cdiff would return 5-7 days after the end of the antibiotic. The fourth occurrence started on a Sunday when the doctor wasn't available. I started giving Lily a supplement that I shall not mention, but which is taken by tens of thousands of people daily for other purposes, and is even safer than some of the probiotics others on this board are taking. It worked beautifully, and for the last three months of her life she did not suffer the symptoms of cdiff, and as her gut flora returned to normal her feces attained the normal poop smells and appearance to verify that.

I don't understand why I'm not allowed to share this information, but it's not my board or my rules and I will live with that. I just think it would really help others, and is entirely benign (I take it every day myself).

God Bless,
--Hua Kul

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:50 pm

I asked my GI and internist about it and they both said it would not cause any harm. Neither one knew if it would help the c diff from relapsing, but they had no problem with my taking the supplement. My internist said that people take it for other reasons anyway.

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:01 am

I value this discussion board and will do my best to abide by the guidelines. There are many very good people here.

I'm very thankful to beth22 for asking her two doctors about the supplement, and for reporting that they verified it would do no harm. I don't want anyone to replace their doctor's advice with mine. In Lily's case (and this is probably true for many), the antibiotic was not immediately available and wouldn't have been for a couple of days, so use of it was not replaced by her using the supplement. But when the supplement seemed to be working we did not go back to the doctor.

I am convinced it worked because she would sometimes neglect to take the second daily dose, and if that occured for 2-3 days in a row the cdiff smell would return and we would start to see some mucousy stuff. As soon as she resumed the complete dosage that went away by the next day. This pattern was repeated a couple of times early on, until we became more careful about her dosage.

I have given this information to several doctors, generally with no response. I did have an exchange with one who was doing studies at a university. She thanked me for the information but I have not heard back from her in the several months since then. One doctor seemed to accept that this could work but he is not doing any work in that field. I am pursuing it but meeting with some, shall we say, incredulity.

At any rate, thanks Roy for your tireless work with this group. I love you all!!

--Hua Kul

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”