Help Cdiff again ??? Pulse help possible

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
cvcman
Brand New Poster

Help Cdiff again ??? Pulse help possible

Postby cvcman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:29 pm

Ok 5 yrs ago was on Clyind for tooth infection got the big C, took Flaygl 2 rounds, no good. ! round of Vanco, no good.

Then pulse dosed Vanco, bam killed. Now 5 yrs later another absessed tooth and they had me on Amoxcyllin and Falygl, took the Flaygl for 5 days and the Amox for 10 days.

I have watery stool for 2 days. When I had the c diff 5 yrs ago I never had it bad. I would go probably 3 times a day and it was formed but very loose yellow etc.

I fear I may have cdiff again but maybe not. If not better by Monday I will be tested.

IF I do have it what would be the best thing to do ?? Go on Vanco and pulse it ?? Any better ideas since 5 yrs ago ??

I am taking Activia and Stonybrook yogurt but not sure what to do.

Can someone give me the best idea to kill it IF it is C again

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:50 pm

cvcman,
I won't give you the official welcome to the site since I hope you don't have cdiff again. I had it for 8 months 3 years ago, and pulsing is what finally worked for me. If I get it again, that will be the first thing I will try. For other ideas, see the Treatments section.

Some folks swear by probiotics; I took 4 but am not sure that any of them helped me to beat cdiff. Others did well with long tapers; I did a short taper which didn't work. Other folks swear by the infusions, but when I had cdiff, you had to test positive 3 times before they would give you an infusion, and I only tested positive once in my 8 months. Other folks may add what worked for them. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:26 am

This last time that I had c diff I had been c diff free for 7 or 8 months, but took antibiotics again and got the worst relapse ever. It was worse than when I had it for 7 months last year. I tapered vanco over 3 weeks - 8 or 9 days at 250mg 4 times per day, then 8 days of 3 per day and 5 days of two per day. I tested negative at that point and my ID doctor gave me Xifaxan to take for a week. The Xifaxan helped me more than the vanco. This was about 6 weeks ago and so far so good, but I'm not out of the woods yet, so it is too early to say if it worked. But when I tapered vanco before it always came back until I got a stool transfer. I understand that a lot of doctors are giving the Xifaxan chaser now. Ask you doctor about it if you test positive. Hopefully you don't have it and are just reacting to the meds. Good luck.

cvcman
Brand New Poster

Postby cvcman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:37 pm

Ok so give me the best aper method. Now today I seemed ok, loose but not water.. How many days after stopping the Amox would I see it if I did have c-diff ??

I would like the tapered schedule you used if possible

Thanks maybe im ok

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:29 pm

I think the taper/pulse methods are under FAQ under Taper/Pulse or Vanco. They say you can get c diff up two 70 days after taking antibiotics again. During that time I would double up on the the probiotics if you can. You can be tested at anytime. I have never heard of a false negative with offending antibiotics only the vanco and flagyl that cause the c diff should be able to cause the false negatives. If you feel there is a chance it is back best to test asap so you can catch it early. Also I would ask the doc for some extra test things so if you feel like in a week or a month it has returned you can just drop off a sample. Hopefully it won't return!

Amanda

cvcman
Brand New Poster

Postby cvcman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:24 pm

well again today had somewhat normal and only went one time. No pressure or pains. I am eating the yogurt not sure if that helps or not.

wouldn't I have much more problems if I had it ??

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Yogurt is good to replenish your flora, as is kefir. If you have any probiotics, it might be a good idea to take them for a few weeks. A friend who had recurrent c difficile had to take antibiotics twice after getting rid of the c diff and didn't relapse either time. She said she took VSL#3 for about a month after finishing the antibiotics. It would probably be a good idea to take a probiotic as well as the yogurt if you tolerate them.

cvcman
Brand New Poster

Postby cvcman » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:16 am

Oh yea I tested positive right off after having a colonoscpy that showed nothing. Then a stool test and bingo there it was. I went on 2 rounds of Flaygl and still positive, first round of Vanco still positive, then after pulsing Vanco next 3 tests nothing zero.

Now im just gunshy I guess, I feel ok again today and normal morning stool, I have been off the Amox for about a week...

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”