Need help with antibiotics for a staph infection.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jenny
Regular Contributor

Need help with antibiotics for a staph infection.

Postby Jenny » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I see alot of new names on the board, Sorry!

I have been c-diff free for over a year. It took several months to kick it and I did by July'08. I have been on antibiotics since then for Latent TB, INH does not affect the gut at all so no relapse in the 9 month of treatment. Now unfortunatley the day has come when they say I need antibiotics for a staph infection, I have been treating with prescription antibacterial creams and soaps but it is possible that the respitory issues I have had over the last few months may be from staph. It is only evident to me on my skin at the moment. I am awaiting confirmation and have insisted on more labs as I will not take an oral antibiotic for a skin infection. They have to prove other wise. I'd rather do ointments and antibac soaps for months rather than risk c diff again. Am I crazy??

Has anyone else been through this? I still have my list of the safer antibiotics, but I don't know if any of them work for staph. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jenny

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:59 pm

Jenny
I am so sorry for all that you are going through. I am not a Dr. but, Staph is something that you really dont want to mess with. From what I know topical antibiotics WILL NOT kill a Staph infection. You are probably going to have to take oral antibiotics. What antibiotic you should take is up to you and your Dr. With your history of Cdiff I am sure that he will work with you.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. Wish you nothing but, the best!
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:45 pm

Jenny,
I am not in the medical field but believe Vanco. was developed to to combat resistant staph infections - given by IV. I was on it for 7 or 8 wks. at one point and lead a somewhat normal life -- worked, etc. (Had C. diff. at the time so took oral Vanco., too.) Major side effects of IV Vanco: hearing loss, neuro. problems.

Run this by your doc. and pharmacist.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Jenny,

I was recently on 4 abx back to back for 34 days for UTIs. I increased my probiotics and began florastor 4xday. So far, so good, but...C Diff could still happen. I truly belive they helped, because I've never been able to tolerate them well in the past without nausea and D. I also made sure I ate a healthy, varied diet.

I wish you the very best with this...I know how distressing it can be!

Please let us know how things go...

Karen

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:14 pm

Just wanted to let you know my grandson had staph 4x and they cultured it each time to see what would kill it. He was on various abx each time; different strains. One of them was vanco, which he got through IV. We were given a choice of clindamycin once, but, thank goodness we chose not to use that one!

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks guys for all your responses. I'm sorry I haven't posted sooner. I've been just kind of chugging along these days. The staph cleared up with mupirocin and I am showering 3 times a day with hibicleanse (antiseptic). I just can't believe that I now have a new different bacterial infection. Unfortunately it has to be treated with oral antibiotics. My Dr wanted me to take Augmentin, Yeh, like that's going to happen! I told them not to bother calling in the prescription and contacted the Infectious disease Dr who got me through C Diff. A great guy. I called yesterday and he got me in first thing this morning before his regular appointments. Awesome! He agreed Augmentin was a really bad idea and has put me on Zyvox for a week. I thought Vanco was expensive, Wow. He said all antibiotics have a risk of c diff even this one but the chances are significatly reduced and that Zyvox in some rare cases can actually be used to treat c diff. Vanco was not an option this time around. I am just so happy that I have such a great Dr on my side. Fingers crossed that this will work. I just can't wait to feel better and be pain free again. I'll post again when I know the outcome after treatment about how Zyvox works.

Take Care

Jenny

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:38 am

Hi Jenny,

Glad to hear the staph cleared up, but I'm a little confused. What kind of bacterial infection do you have now? Another staph strain? I've never heard of Zyvox, but glad to hear this one has significantly less chance of causing C Diff! I took 2 rounds of Augmentin over the past couple of months...no choice...still waiting to see if C Diff is gonna hit me again. If it's MRSA by some chance, I've dealt with that with my grandson. That's tough, and I sincerely wish you the very best. It likes to hang around, but you can get rid of it! Went through 4 rounds of bleaching/cleaning entire house, special bathing, and Bactriban up the nose for 7 days all 4 times. Please let us know how things go

Karen

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi Karen,

I'm so sorry that you and your grandson had to go through all that, 4 times too! No it's not MRSA thank goodness. The staph infection was on my perianal area. I will never again go to the bathroom without washing my hands before and after! I have had a difficult time with hemorrhoids since c diff and believe this is how the staph settled in and made a home. Through towel use and shaving I managed to infect my leg too. The staph cleared up fine but the antibiotic cream most likely allowed the new bacteria enterococcus to take a hold in a vaginal wound that I already had. With my RA sores take a long time to heal. They were planning on doing a biopsy before the infection came as they could not find any other reason for the sore. So now I have to wait until the wound is back to it's original state before they will do a biopsy. It just appears to be one thing after another.

Zyvox (Linezolid) is a synthetic antibacterial agent of a new class of antibiotics, the oxazolidinones, which has clinical utility in the treatment of infections caused by aerobic Gram-positive bacteria. The in vitro spectrum of activity of linezolid also includes certain Gram-negative bacteria and anaerobic bacteria.

It does have warnings regarding c-diff but states rarely. Fingers crossed! I am already feeling a difference in my infection after only a few doses. Doing the probiotics and hoping for the best. The pills cost $100 each, luckily I only have a $40 co-pay on this type of drug.

Take Care

Jenny

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:01 am

Oh my goodness, Jenny, that sounds so painful! I'm glad to hear you're getting some relief with the abx. Thanks for the info on Zyvox; I always enjoy hearing about something new. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! $100.00 per pill; that's outrageous! So glad you only have a co-pay of $40.00. Hope your feeling better soon and things settle down for you!

Karen

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”