Confirmed C diff is back

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:34 am

My Xifaxan was first prescribed for SIBO and my insurance covered it. I don't know if your doctor has to specify for what he is giving you the medication, but just for future reference. Also, I was told that Xifaxan is much less destructive of good bacteria and easier on the intestines than Vanco. When I took it for the SIBO months ago I did get D* from it after about 10 days, but after I stopped the medication it disappeared completely and things went back to how they were. That is not true of vanco - it is a much harsher drug and for me has created more problems than it is worth. If the Xifaxan works for you, which it seems to be doing, I'd do what your doctor said. You can always take vanco later if this doesn't do it. I found that when I took probiotics along with the Xifaxan I didn't have as many intestinal problems or gassiness. Without the probiotics it was kind of harsh to take.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 am

Yes, evidently the newer studies are comparing Vanco to Xifaxin, not as a chaser. There are several pharm. co's that have had trials with this and Xifaxin is getting more favorable results in their study group. Anyway, Vanco is always an option and works for people as well. I just want to be rid of this! GOD BLESS!

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Yep Roy, I went off Colestid on Thursday night to see as what you said made sense as far as stopping the D. The mucus leaving is a good sign. That is how I always know it is back. I never had that in my life until C diff.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

how are you

Postby Mia-Mia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:01 pm

Hey how r u? How is your recovery doing?

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:29 am

It is also known that xifaxan can CAUSE cdiff in some people and for some it does not work at all. But others have sworn by it. I suppose it is an individual case by case thing.
Cindy

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:07 pm

Recovery going well, thank you for asking. GI said nearly any antibiotic can cause C diff, precisely why he never treats me without a stool test. Once positive, he goes to work. My tests are always positive when I exhibit these typical symptoms. He won;t put me on precautionary dose of Xifaxin, Vanco, Flagyl, nothing unless he can get a stool test that tis positive and I usually have to do the three test thing. I went to buy more Florastor and could only get a 20 pack at my usual pharmacy becasue pharmacist had to hold 150 for a woman who is battling C diff. There are a lot of us out there....

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

meds

Postby Mia-Mia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:34 pm

Hey what kind of meds are you on? How long do you have to be on? is your d better?

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:07 am

I am on Xifaxin for 2 1/2 more weeks. I plan to take Colestid for a week when I get off the Xifaxin if need be(not taking now). So far, only going BM about 1-2 times a day and looks good. I reduced Nexium to about twice a week and I am darn near off of that. I will probably have to take here and there when I get flares of GERD. I also have to take Toprol for my AFIB attacks that I used to get. Now that I am off caffeine and take 50mg of Toprol I have not had a real problem since February(knock on wood!). I also take Florastor and eat yogurt a couple of times a day. I still have a rash or two that i picked up from hopsital and fight with topical stuff(since I don;t want antibiotics!). How is that for a list? I feel really good right now though, it is amazing what you get used to...

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Vikingjeff28,

Glad you are doing better. I took Florator (then S. boulardii) for a blind study and then on compassionate usage for two years. Didn't help or hurt me, but many have luck with it.

As we know C. diff. is an individual disease and everyone reacts differently.

The second time my son had C. diff., the ped. put him on Questran only. He was miserable but it worked -- has a small "recovery" rate, however. I believe it is the same (or related) to Colestid-- also an oral cholesterol lowering medication, but check with your pharmacist or do some research online.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”