elevated pancreatic enzymes

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

elevated pancreatic enzymes

Postby beth22 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:10 pm

I was wondering if anyone had elevated pancreatic enzymes either during c difficile or after. Mine were elevated for the first time and the doctor is wondering if the vanco could have been the cause - there is an article that I read that said that vanco destroyed pancreatic tissue in rats permanently. No tumors showed up on an ultrasound I had today nor on an MRI or CT scan done about six months ago. The pancreas looked normal on one and slightly small on another. Doctor thinks it might be inflammation or pancreatic insufficiency and I should try pancreatic enzymes. First I have to repeat the blood test to see if is still the same. I know people have posted about gall bladder problems, but was wondering about the pancreatic enzymes and if they ever returned to normal.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi Beth,

Before we figured out my whole gallbladder thing they did the enzyme tests on me and the one that shouldn't have been elevated was. They originally told me I was in the beginning stages of pancreatitis(sp?). I then was so sick and went into the ER the very next day and they repeated tests because they couldn't find the one from the dr and the levels came back normal. This was for me 11 months I think after c diff. I would definitely ask them to recheck and see if maybe they returned to normal. I continue to keep you in my prayers and will add this in. I sure hope you are doing okay otherwise. I had a withdraw from the website not being able to see how everyone was doing....lol!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:43 pm

Beth, I took pancreatic enzymes during my C Diff ordeal. I really believe they helped. I would get them checked again, like Amanda suggested. I, too, hope things are going better for you!

Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:37 am

Beth,
Remember, they give lab rats huge doses of meds. during testing. I am now on an osteoporosis med. I can only take for two years because it caused bone cancer in rats. I'd rather take it (although it is expensive -- even with insurance -- incovenient (a shot), has to be refrigerated (a
b .... to travel with) than have another broken bone.

Do what research you can about meds. and then don't worry about it. I've had health problems for l6 years (since C. diff.) and I am still alive and kicking. Many of my "well" friends have "passed on."

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:10 pm

Well, I'm not too happy today. Spoke to the internist and GI and they want to do a whole bunch of tests tomorrow to see about the pancreas, including some test to see if there is cancer CA - 19. Then I am supposed to have an endoscopic ultrasound, which is basically an upper endoscopy, but with a probe attached that they put through some valve to the pancreas and do an ultrasound of it. They don't feel it is cancer or a tumor, but have to rule it out. They think it is more likely pancreatitis or inflammation of the pancreas. I never had anything like that before I got c difficile. I don't know if it was the medication, the infection, my immune system going crazy or what. I am really depressed. Just when I thought things were getting a little better. I was able to tolerate some vegetables, croissants that obviously have butter and I couldn't have anything with butter before. Don't know what to think. The wait list for that endoscopy is very long and the doctor said if I get better meanwhile, I can always cancel. Still haven't gained weight, but my energy is better. Will keep praying. Seems like all I can do now.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Beth, if I'm understanding correctly, your energy level is better and you're tolerating more foods? These are definitely positives! I'm sure the docs just want to rule everything out. Are you having your enzyme levels tested again anytime soon? How many times have they been tested now? I'm trying to get a better understanding of how you feel.

Karen

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:05 pm

They have tested them periodically for the last year and they were always normal until last week. The amylase and lipase were elevated. I'm supposed to go tomorrow morning without eating and have those retested as well as some others: pancreatic polypeptide; VIP; gastrin; CA -19-9 and CEA, which are cancer markers, and some immune system antibodies. The doctor doesn't understand why all of a sudden they are elevated when they hadn't been before. I'm not on any medication - have been off antibiotics for 5 weeks now. The only thing I'm taking is some Pepto Bismol - very little and some Tums and he said that shouldn't cause it. They are concerned about the weight loss though - think I am not absorbing what I eat, or at least not all of it. It's like when you take two steps forward and them five steps back. Don't know what to think anymore.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:54 am

Beth, I am so sorry you're having to go through this. Please let us know how your tests turn out. I'm thinking of you! Here's a link to a member named Sandy who had some trouble w/her pancreas. Don't know if it's the same thing you're going through...she hasn't been on in quite some time.

http://cdiffsupport.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... hlight=sks

She may have her email address posted in her profile...I don't know.

Karen

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:54 am

Thanks, Karen. I'll let you know. Hopefully the enzyme tests will be back by Friday, but the cancer and the autoimmune ones will probably take longer.

LindaSp
Contributor

Postby LindaSp » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:47 am

Beth,
Have you had your gallbladder removed?Hope you are feeling better.
Linda

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:29 pm

I still have my gall bladder and haven't had any problems with it that I know of. Looked fine on all scans.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:51 pm

I don't know if it is a possiblity but maybe having your gallbladder further checked would be good. The symptoms of gallbladder issues can be nausea and pain(mine is not constant). In fact I thought all along my pain was IBS but not so. Sometimes if the gallbladder is not functioning properly or has a stone it can cause the pancreatic enzymes to go up. I don't remember why but I am sure if you look on the web you could find it. My gallbladder looked fine on the ultrasound and everything else. They had to do a hida scan to find out how it was actually functioning and that is when they found out it wasn't working properly. The test is pretty painless. Just lay there for about an hour and a half and they take pics while they put dye in an iv and then some stuff to make the gallbladder contract.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:21 pm

I am allergic to dye if it is iodine - will ask the doctor. Did you have an MRI also? I was going to ask the doctor about that because the test they want to do on me - an endoscopic ultrasound can't be done before December 8 - the doctor is so booked. I need anesthesia for it - it is like an upper endoscopy, but the scope has an altrasound at the end of it and they can view the pancreas with it. Maybe before that I can do some kid of scan though.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:58 am

Beth,
I had many of the problems you do during C. diff. At one point I went to an immunologist. He tested me and said my antibodies were low (can't remember which ones; I have the test somewhere in my many medical files) and I would progressively get worse and probably wind up on IVIG treatments -- which my insurance wouldn't cover. I was so tired of docs. and tests I didn't return to him until 3 or 4 yrs. later. I can't remember why I did return -- probably because I continued to test positive for Lupus. (Have Raynaud's Syndrome, however, which can provide false results for Lupus.)
When I did return, I was tested first and then saw Dr. I (immunology) for the results. He came in with another doc. -- evidently a young colleague who was "observing." He asked why I hadn't returned for so long a period. I told him I didn't like his negative attitude and reminded him to wash his hands before he examined me. Both docs were astonished. Dr. I. then told me the tests were much better! He didn't know why. He wanted to see me again. I agreed but failed to make an appointment.

My last test for Lupus turned out negative. Throughout the last l6 years, docs. have scared the h ... out of my with their various tests. Many were incorrect. I declined a lung biopsy when my pulmo. found a cyst in one lung because of the risk of a collapsed lung. I am still here -- many years later -- evidently a nonmalignant cyst.

Remember, docs. are people. They provide an educated, experienced, expensive guess. Sometimes they are right; sometimes they are wrong. Tests aren't always accurate. Always get copies of tests.

Unfortunately, I still see too many docs. but have learned to not let them upset me (as much) until I have "proof positive" they and the tests are correct. No one or nothing is perfect.

I'm not advising you not to have tests -- that is between you and your doctor.

Just take it a day at a time.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks, Bobbie. I went ahead with the blood tests, but I read on the internet that the enzymes as well as the cancer marker tests could be positive for other conditions as well. I too, have been tested for lupus and it was mainly negative - only one part was positive because I have Hashimotos's thyroiditis which is an auto immune condition. I'm trying to stay positive, as none of the scans showed any tumors on the pancreas, but the fact that I'm so thin and still losing weight despite testing negative for c diff for 5 weeks now, and prior to the relapse for 7 or 8 months is what has me and the doctors concerned. Will see what these tests show and then take it from there. My internist wants to do an MRI - I suppose that is reasonable and non-invasive as it is without contrast.

My intestines still are not back to normal and I think c diff is still there. Am thinking of doing a home infusion to see if it makes any difference, but I don't want to do an antibiotic prep right now until I know what's what. I think it was the vanco that messed up my system to begin with. I started to feel bad from the first with that medication, but there are not many choices for c difficile. I'll try to keep positive.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”