Pain meds

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Pain meds

Postby anlockwood » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:55 pm

I am currently beginning a six week taper because my GI dr is sure that I was having a reoccurence from antibiotic use. I have already been on vanco for 17 days now. My stools are okay, just twice a day and formed. I am scheduled to have my gallbladder removed on Thursday. My GI dr said since stools are okay at this point I am okay to use Darvocet as I will still be on Vanco 4 times a day. I wonder if anyone else has had to do this? I also just had two teeth pulled today and feel like death at the moment from the pain. Would love to take a pain pill but I am still so iffy about it.

Thanks,
Amanda

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:06 pm

Wow Amanda, two teeth, I hope and pray that takes care of that. When I had a herniated disk in my neck darvocet didn't do much for the pain, but percocet worked nicely. It did constipate me somewhat.
http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/53907.htm
"Percocet® is normally used to treat moderate to severe pain. Darvocet® is indicated for mild to moderate pain."

God Bless,
--Hua Kul

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Hmmm...I found a little more information on the differences among the pain meds mentioned. It seems that Darvocet is quite weak, equivalent to about 600mg of aspirin. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 904AAcsqL2

--Hua Kul

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi Amanda,
I just had a hysterectomy and don't do well on pain meds. My surgeon gave me anti imflammatory suppositories. They seemed to work and didn't upset my tummy. The first week there were no bowel issues. My second and third week of recovery I'm having some unfortunatly. I'm not sure if there is any relation and I sure hope things settle down again but I think the suppository was easier on my GI system over an oral med.
Is taking out your gallbladder a new thing? It seems so many people who have c-diff get their gall bladders out. The surgeon who did my hysterectomy took pictures and gave them to me of my gall bladder because he said there is something weird on it that I will get checked out eventually. If you have the surgery laproscopic I don't think there is as much pain as a the full incision surgery. I sure hope it goes well. I had about 5 days of pain and than I felt fine.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:24 pm

I know the Darvocet is not very strong but am hoping that it will just be enough to take the edge off. I guess my biggest concern is you read blaring warnings not to take any pain pills during c diff because their effects of slowing down the GI system. I guess I wonder if I should be okay as I don't have the D right now. I am so afraid of causing myself more issues on the ton I already have.

Amanda

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:18 am

I know how you feel, I just got a new probiotic and I'm scared even to try that!

I think if your C Diff was active, it would be a bad idea to take the pain meds, however;since you are on full doses of Vanco it is treating any C Diff there may be lingering around already. So it sort of has you covered,one would think. Short duration of use is probably the best, and I am sure your GI knows best in any case. I hope you get to feeling better.
Hoping for a cure.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:26 am

Pain meds. slow down the GI tract. Drink lots of water and eat foods containing roughage if you can tolerate them. Exercise if you can.

I was on Vicodin (generic) for 6 or 7 weeks last Fall for a fractured vertebra. Not fun. I am on a fairly new (& very expensive) drug for osteoporosis (a shot) and am now back in aerobics. Just got back from Bath in the UK -- many stairs and hills. Did fine.

You will feel better, but I know how it is to have one problem after another -- exhausting and depressing. Mine was a similar story - C. diff. for 4 yrs., many other issues (including pneumonia several times and osteomyletis in my jaw) and then C. diff. again 2 yrs. later after another bout of pneumonia. I'm doing well now though. (Knock wood.) Hang in there.

Good luck with the surgery. Try to avoid antibiotics if possible.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”