Effect of carbohydrates/diet?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Effect of carbohydrates/diet?

Postby Suezer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:45 pm

At this point (8 months of taper/pulsing..trying to get off of Vanco..) should I be watching everyting I eat? I have such a limitted diet already..no veggies,no raw fruits, no dairy.

Is it true Carbohydrates are not a good thing for us? I hope not because I will have not much left to eat pretty soon.

Has anyone read of anything about carbohydrates?

Any info would be appreciated, if I have to alter my diet further to get around this last corner I will,however I too am still trying gain back weight I lost thru this ordeal.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Hoping for a cure.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:50 pm

Sue, have you tried cooked veggies? I was able to eat some of these w/in a month or two after coming off vanco. I waited months before I tried anything fried. The cooked veggies were well cooked. Carrots were the easiest.

Karen

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:39 pm

I had a lot of trouble with veggies during and after cdiff, but I was able to drink V-8 without problems, so I figured at least I was getting some veggies that way. I drank it every day.

I remember someone saying that carbs weren't good during cdiff (can't remember if there was a reference to read), but I was like you, if I didn't eat carbs there wasn't much left, so I ate them. I ate potatoes, noodles, and rice (started with white rice but eventually was able to eat brown rice), and all of these agreed with me just fine. I also ate whole wheat bread, which was fine as long as it didn't have any seeds or nuts or the like (which I used to really like -- my kids called it "twigs and sticks").

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:35 pm

Sue, the first effect of a high percentage carbohydrate diet is to raise blood sugar levels. If you have a robust pancreas it will produce enough insulin to keep that under control, but chronically high fasting insulin levels have their own negative health effects, including cardiovascular ( http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... t-one.aspx ). Also, blood sugar competes with vitamin C in your white blood cells, which need a high concentration of vitamin C to function at full efficiency, so high blood sugar levels from a high carbohydrate diet can suppress some immune functions in general. However, from what I have read about cdiff it seems only a robust gut flora environment will keep it down, I'm not sure what impact the immune system in general adds to that. My personal opinion (don't take this for any personal advice) is that in the short term a high carb diet won't be too negative, but that is really only a guess.

God Bless,
--Hua Kul

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”