Flu Shots

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Christina
Long Time Contributor

Flu Shots

Postby Christina » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:40 am

Just a reminder to get your flu shots. Also, check with your Dr.'s about getting the pneumonia vaccine as well. It needs to be boostered after 5 years if you've already had one. The #1 complication from H1N1 is bacterial pneumonia and the vaccine protects you from 23 of the most common strains. Here in Ohio they are already giving out the flu shots at CVS Minute Clinics. If you live in another state you may want to first call and check. I had both shots last Wednesday with no complications except muscle pain that lasted a few days.

Everyone hang in there with your C-diff battles. It can and always does go away. Be patient and be strong. You will win this fight!

Christina

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:45 am

Just wanted to clarify that the flu shot now available is for the regular flu, not H1N1 that is why it is good to check with your Dr. about the pneumonia vaccine as well. As far as I've read the H1N1 vaccine won't be available until mid to late October and won't be available to everyone. It will be administered on a tiered schedule meaning pregnant woman first and then children, etc. and will require 2 vaccines for protection. I'm not sure I want a fast tracked vaccine pushed by the government anyway. :)

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:54 pm

Just my 2cents regarding the swine flu vaccine--be aware of how it can hurt you. I urge you to read the two articles linked here.

The first one makes the connection between adequate vitamin D and protection from the flu (why is flu seasonal?...hint: people in moderate climates don't get adequate vitamin D from the sun in the fall and winter.). http://www.whale.to/a/cannell.html

The second article is from Dr. Mercola and examines the danger of the vaccine ingredient squalene, which is now believed to be the cause of Gulf War Syndrome, and will be in at least the Novartis (MF59) and GlaxoSmithKline (ASO3) swine flu vaccines. The MF59 version of squalene has not been approved by the FDA but will be in the Novartis vaccine. Squalene is a natural oil in our bodies, but when it it injected our immune systems can react as if it is an invader and will attack it everywhere in the body, causing a type of rheumatoid arthritis, among other things. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/vital ... posed.aspx

Please educate yourselves about the vaccine risks and the alternatives before subjecting you or your children to those risks.

--Hua Kul

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:01 pm

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:33 pm

Does anyone remember the swine flu shot that they had mass clinics for in the 1970's? I had that shot and it put me flat on my back for a whole week and sick as a dog. I did not have the brains to contact the doctor only to find out later it killed some people. I was lucky! I wonder if this vaccine will compare to it cause if it does........no way is this ole woman getting it!
Cindy

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:04 pm

Cindy,
I remember the flu shots in the 70's. The place where I worked sent all of us to get them. I think this is why those of us who are older are not catching this latest H1N1 as easily as those who are younger.

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Even though the H1N1 vaccine (at least from some manufacturers) has the potential for severe side effects, I still hesitate to recommend not getting vaccinated, simply because if someone read my comments and didn't get it, then subsequently died of swine flu, it would be a terrible burden. I would hope that it is possible to request a vaccine without squalene, but I don't know, and given medicine's callous disregard of patient wishes in many cases, I don't have much hope.

The issue with some flus, and I believe H1N1 may be in this category, is that many of the fatalaties are among young and strong people. In these cases it is the person's own immune response killing them, and the younger patients tend to have stronger immune systems. This was true of the Spanish flu in (1917-1918?), in which a disproportionate number of deaths worldwide were among the young and strong. People would start symptoms in the morning and by evening be dead, drowned from fluid in their lungs, caused by their immune response.

By the way, the swine flu panic was 1976 and the government panicked and pushed very hard for vaccinnations. Exactly one person died of the flu but about 25 died of Guillan-Barre (sp?) Syndrome, brought on by the vaccine. The gov't was so panicked that they guaranteed not only no liability for the vaccine makers, but a large profit as well. Kathleen Sebelius has guaranteed no liability for today's manufacturers of H1N1 vaccine, if you're injured or killed by it there is no one you can sue.

--Hua Kul

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:46 pm

This is such a scary thought. I am trying to get pregnant and now I am so worried about this darn swine flu. My doctor told me I should get the swine flu and regular flu vaccinations if I do get pregnant, and I think I will. But then I do worry about side effects to me and of course the baby with the vaccination. I just wish this darn swine flu never came here. Oh well oh yeah I meant to post me and my family were on vacation in Hilton Head and I met a guy who had a big job with generic drugs. Anyway, he said they are in the process of making a generic vancomycin which will be great since the brand name is so darn expensive and not always covered. I was pretty excited to hear about that did anyway else hear about it?

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Just curious...I've heard that people have relapsed with CDiff after getting sick with the flu (I'm assuming a bad case)... does anyone know how commone this is? Also, do you think the flu shot would cause any issues with your stomach if you have PIBS? These may be stupid questions, but these days I worry about everything...

Thank you!

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:48 pm

I can only give you personal experience. I have yet to ever have a flu shot in my life so I have to talk with the dr this year because I definitely want the H1N1 and also the regular flu shot and I am currently fighting c diff again. I am not sure how effects active infection. On the other hand my 18 month old is now 9 months post c diff and I did get him the flu shot just last week. He seemed to do fine with it. No vomitting or D, didn't seem to bother him.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:34 pm

I get a flu shot every year; even last year when I was struggling with PI IBS...no problems with my tummy. I did, however, have some slight chest congestion for a few days.

Karen

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:54 pm

I get the flu shot every year and every once in a while I will feel a bit blah for a couple of days but no more than that. The pneumonia shot felt like my arm was going to EXPLODE for a full week. Hurt like crazy. I had it in 2004 and asked the other day when making my appointment if I needed another. I am told that you need only one at age 65 and if you had one prior to 65 then you need to get another at 65 and that is all you will need in your lifetime. So, who do we listen to? Medicine in many ways is like playing russian roulette! ha!
Cindy

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:53 am

I just read recently that the last H1N1 vaccine they fast tracked in the 70's caused paralysis in some people. I think I am going to pass on it. And I agree with you Cindy the pneumonia vaccine hurt like mad for about 4 days or so. Not fun! I have had my flu shot every year since having my first battle with C-diff and have never had any stomach issues. This was during recovery, post c-diff, and during active C-diff. I do get a flu kind of feeling for a few days after, but it is mild and it goes away quickly. That I've been told is normal.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:33 pm

My 32 year old niece had swine flu 3 weeks ago in NC, and I had something similar to her's. My 5 year old grandson got it; took him to pediatrician...they are not testing for swine flu b/c ped said they'd treat it just like regular flu...it lasted about 5 days for all of us. Aches and pains and cough, cold...we are all fine. Though I get a flu shot each year, I won't be getting the swine flu vaccine.

Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:19 pm

See Consumer Report info. on swine flu I posted today.

I remember the Swine Flu scare in the l970's. I got the immunization and had no side effects. Some, however, did develop the crippling disease Guillan-Barre. After months of panic, there wasn't an epidemic after all. In fact, I'm not sure there were any cases.

What to do about the shot? Do some research, contact your doctor (doctors) and ask their advice as they know (or can look up) your medical problems, try to make an informed opinion, and hope for the best. It's all a "crap shoot" anyway -- something we, with C. diff., know all about.

No guarantees with anything in this world.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”