my Surgery time is here

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
carrie
Regular Contributor

my Surgery time is here

Postby carrie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:55 pm

Well my surgery date has finally arrived and I'm beginning to feel anxious. I'm almost out 2 years from my long bout of C-diff. I'm grateful for my doc as he will be doing the ssurgery with no antibiotics. I went for a pre-admission appt and read the nurse my "must have" list. Do not put me in a room with anyone with c-diff, do not administer my drugs I'll do it myself, ensure you have a new pair of gloves on when you enter my room, ensure I have disposable booties available for me when I need to get up and the list goes on including you will not be shaving me down there I will do it myself before I arrive. I reminded her I'm only there 24 hours and most of those I will be a sleep so just help me get through those hours c-diff free with no cross contamination and I will be a very grateful person. I'm having a partial hysterectomy(maybe full depending on what they see) that I blame c-diff on as my system went out of whack during c-diff and continued after. My surgery is being done laperscopic(sp?) so I'm only in the hospital over night but that is one night to long for me. I'm hoping only to come back on the board to share good news but I'm very worried as my stomach still has many issues - although this has been my best month ever post c-diff. Feel free to share any words of wisdom I can use to get through this. They want to administer an anal suppository pain med which I'm not to happy about and I have to do an enema the night before. I'd rather do neither, has anyone else had these since being clear? Thanks for your support always.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi Carrie,

They laparasocpic hysterectomy was a breeze! I know your biggest concern is getting C Diff again. Your list sounds like an excellent idea! Smart lady!

You know, if I'd only been given the option of an enema the night before mine, I woud have been so much better off. I had to do the whole prep routine, which totally cleaned out my gut. It was so harsh. You're 2 years out from C Diff...that'ts even better. I know you get a lot of exercise, and this is really in your favor, too.

Yes, I've had an enema since C Diff; acutally during C Diff for C due to vanco...I did just fine. It actually didn't work. I don't think I've had any rectal pain meds, but you probably won't need much. I didn't need any pain med once I left the hospital (mine was onvernight, too.) Like you, I was very physically active prior to surgery and I know this helps.

Here's something important to remember: they may put air/gas into your abdomen so they can see the organs better. It may cause you to feel short of breath...no one told me this. The trick is to lie flat for the next 24 hours if you can. I even developed elevated temp because the air/gas was pressing against my diaphragm, suppressing lung function, which believe it or not, caused the elevated temp. This all sent me back to the ER the next night, where I was again given abx. One very smart doc came in about 30 mintues into abx and said to stop...he told me what was happening and told me to lie flat. It only took about 30 mintues for my breathing to improve and my temp eventually went back to normal. If only they'd told me this in the hospital...

I am wishing you the very best, Carrie. You've done what you can to stay healthy, and given them instructions. I know one lady took a bottle of bleach/bleach water mix with her and had someone bleach the bed rails, phone, etc, while she was in there. Sounds just like something I'd do. :-) Please let us know how things go!

Karen

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:40 am

Carrie:

When I had my neck rebuilt I had the same concerns, and it ended up being a cakewalk. I hope your surgery goes as well.

Karen's advice is worth it's weight in gold....remember it. It can be the difference in a trip to the ER or resting in bed.

Fire

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks Karen and Fire for your words of wisdom and support. It's funny but after C-diff the surgery seems like a cake walk and the fear of c-diff overrides any other fears. I'm very thankful for the surgeon I have and look forward to reporting all went well and I'll continue on my journey to complete my first 1/2 Ironman next spring. Karen I'll be in touch, thanks for the insight with the gas I've heard from others that it can be very painful.
Carrie

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”