Need to make sure I have this right.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Need to make sure I have this right.

Postby anlockwood » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:47 pm

Well I had my root canal this week for my tooth and they decided not to do the other tooth. Endodontist said I shouldn't need antibiotics since the nerve was dead but not badly infected. Well 24 hours afterwards this crazy pain set in. It was severe sensitivity if I bit or touched my tooth even with just my tongue. Well that has continued and has been pretty unbearable but you know, like a true c diff veteran, I was trying to avoid making a phone call that would end in me needing antibiotics.

I couldn't do the pain anymore and called the endo today. He said I had to take antibiotics, that there was no other option. He asked what I could take and I kind of laughed because all of us want to say NOTHING! My issue is growing up my mom always said I was allergic to penicillan. She always said I had severe nausea with it but I don't remember. They don't really consider nausea a allergic reaction so the dr is willing to try the penicillan. I pray to God I am not severely allergic but have no idea as I was at the most 5 years old last time I took it. I have two questions. The first is I took Darvocet for the pain this morning and last night. Darvocet gives me pretty bad consitipation. The dr wants me to start the penicillan right away but I worry about that because of the pain meds. I know no one here can give medical advice but I wonder what you would do. I plan on taking the PeriColace tonight to make sure I don't get C. Also I am planning on taking 4 Florastor, 1 Align and 2 Culturelle a day. Does that sound sufficient and is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks so much everyone for your help and support!

Amanda

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:51 pm

I forgot one other thing...any good stories out there of people taking penicillin and not relapsing? I sure could use one right about now!

Amanda

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:28 pm

So sorry to hear about the pickle you're in Amanda. I had a tooth extracted a few weeks ago and the Tylenol 3 (contains codeine) did the same thing (constipation). I wish I had some advice. I'll pray for your successful recovery.

--Hua Kul

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Hey Amanda,

I'm sorry you're having to take abx..hopefully the penicillin will not cause nausea; there are anti-nausea meds, which I'm sure you already know. I was put on abx over a month ago...have taken 4 rounds and on my fourth...two of them have been Augmentin. I have never been able to tolerate this well in the past, but I've been taking my probiotics and lots of florastor, and I haven't even had nausea, which I had in the past.

Like you, I did everything I could to avoid them, but no choice. I'm wishing you the best of luck...you're doing all you can and that's the best any of us can do!

Pericolace is a stool softener, right? I've never been able to tolerate those either...they bloat me like nobody's business and never did the trick...but...it's my tendency for C and not D. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Karen

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:12 am

Amanda,
I am so sorry to hear about your struggle. I remember that Bobbie took a Z-pak a year or two ago and didn't relapse, to her surprise. So I hope you too make it without a relapse. (And you too, Karen.) I have all my fingers crossed for you both. Hang in there.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:54 am

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure I am taking the correct probiotics. Its so much easier to give advice but when it comes your turn to take the antibiotics its like everything goes blank, whatever I do just doesn't seem like it will be enough. I got down a schedule of probiotics and antibiotics and hopefully I can get through this with no relapse. Only time will tell. I am going to have to go back in and talk to surgeon now and don't know if we will have to postpone gallbladder surgery even more or what. Oh well.

Karen,
I read your other post and I sure hope you aren't relapsing. I will keep you in my prayers. You are a true inspiration.

Amanda

sangeeta
Regular User

Postby sangeeta » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:34 pm

Amanda,

I am so sorry that you will have to take antibiotics. Like you, my mother told me that I was allergic to pencillin. I tried it once and had heart trembling and palpitations so stopped it instantly. Ever since i have never taken it again, be careful if you are going to take pencillin. All the best Amanda, i am sure God will see you through this.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”