On my 4th round of abx for UTI...had C Diff 16 months ago

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

On my 4th round of abx for UTI...had C Diff 16 months ago

Postby klt03301 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi all.

I've had 4 UTIs in less than 2 months now...all abx have failed. Now starting my 4th round of abx...ampicllin 500 mg 4xday.

First of all, has anyone taken ampicillin? I assume it's in the "likely to cause c-diff" category. I know that it says to tell your doc if you've had colitis before starting it. None of the other abx have said this.

1st infection: e coli, Macrobid 100 mg 2xday for 7 days
2nd: proteus mirabillis; Augmentin 875 mg 2xday for 10 days
3rd: e:colie; Macrobid 100 mg 2xday for 10 days
4th: supposed to take ampicillin 500mg 4xday for 10 days

I'm very concerned about the ampicillin; so I've call the urologist to see if he can put me back on Augmentin, at higher daily dose...it did not bother my stomach at all. I've generally tolerated them all well.

Am tripling my probiotics, taking another probiotic for urinary tract health, taking 4 florastor a day, and D-Mannose, which is supposed to be helpful against e-coli...that obviously isn't working.

I'm very surprised I've tolerated these drugs...in the past, I could not take Augmentin without severe intestinal upset.

My urologist has done CT scan...no stones that are causing infection. I can't even clear one infection before another one begins.

Seeing my ID doc on 9/18; he treats for this kind of thing and told me yesterday he is very concerned I will get C Diff again. Don't want to go there, you know? I have to take these abx, though. I'm tired of living in pain and pyridium does not work very well.

I've tried every home remedy I know of: vinegar water, drinking pure cranberry juice, cranberry pills, lots of water...nothing is working.

Can someone tell me about the ampicllin and why it has this warning when the others don't? Has anyone taken it after C Diff? Has anyone had experience with recurrent UTIs? I know you have, Heather, and have taken Bactrium sp? I'm allergic to sulpha and it has sulpha, plus it doesn't kill proteus bacteria. Severely allergic to Cipro. I can't have cytoscopy until infection clears. I have had CT scan...no stones to account for these. Also visited my GYN...she says I do not need estrogen cream that some find helpful in preventing UTIs (including my Mom).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I just want these to clear and not get C diff again. I know it can take months after stopping abx before C Diff symptoms, but I'm doing all I can to prevent it. Right now, I'm at the point where if I have to get C-diff for the UTIs to clear by taking a really strong dosage of something, so be it.

Thanks,

Karen

dawnie31
Contributor

Postby dawnie31 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:34 pm

Karen, I have heard of somebody who has reccurrent UTI for years and all abx have failed since the day she started to drink a huge amount of cranberry juice. Sometimes, natural things a healthier than conventional medication. I had vagina infections for 8 months, no abx had worked. I stopped medications and re-do my flora with something with honey and probiotics my gynecologist prescribed me and I was cured in 4 days! no vagina pb since. I Hope it will clear quickly and that you will not have a relapse;

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Karen a friend at work told me just the other day she was experiencing UTIs and antibiotics never cleared them. She decided to take a cranberry supplement (pill) and they have worked for her. I really hate to see you taking all these antibiotics, how horrible. I hope something helps, this is probably really frustrating and a lil' scarey for you .
Hoping for a cure.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks so much for responding, guys...

I have tried everything I know:

Vinegar water
Cranberry pills
Pure cranberry juice
Lots of water
D-Mannose
Probiotic for urinary health

Done these things daily for two weeks...not helping. :-( Not to mention, the pure cranberry juice, d-mannose, and probiotic for urinary health are very expensive. My funds are limited, but I'll keep taking them as long as I can.

I suspected Ampicillin was one of the bad guys, Roy. I called my urologist and he's agreed to put me on a higher dose of Augmentin, but that's one of the bad guys, too. My tummy tolerated that one ok, though, and I did not see "consult your physician if you have a history of collitis" on the Augmentin, like I did on the ampicillin...though I know they can all certainly cause C Diff.

If I weren't in such pain, I'd be more open to holding off on the abx. I actually tried this for a week and a half before I got treatment for the first one. Mistake.

sangeeta
Regular User

Postby sangeeta » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Karen,

I have been suffering from Urinary tract discomfort for a long time, the doctors did not find any bacteria or yeast but still gave me diflucan. Instead of taking it I opted for a homeopathic medicine called cantharis. I only took four doses, it irritated my stomach since i am only six months post c.diff, but the burning pain and frequent urination went away. The homeopath was of the opinion that it generally clears the infection permanently. Cantharis is a strong medicine and should only be taken after consulting a homeopath. There are various other permanent homeopathic remedies for UTI's. It might be worth consulting a homeopathic doctor. Take care!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks, Sangeeta! If I could afford one, I'd do it in a heartbeat! Unfortunately, they are finding bacteria in mine. I'll do some research on
Cantharis. Thank goodnes I have no yeast problems, even after all the abx I've been on. :-)

I'm glad you've found something that helps you!!!!

Karen

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Karen,
I am so sorry for all the problems you are going through! I am also sorry that I can help you more :O(. My only advice to you is along with drinking the Cranberry Juice make sure that you are drinking LOTS of water.

Does the Dr have any idea as to why you can not get rid of it>

Again I am so sorry I can be of more help to you. Know I am thinking of you though :O).
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:51 am

Thanks, Heather. :-)

No, they don't have any idea...I get on one abx and while I'm on it, I grow a different bacteria, then have to change abx. They can't do cytoscopy until I'm cleared of infection.

Now, I'm having rumbling and gurgling and going. Feeling pretty rotten.

I've done everything I could do to prevent C Diff. My ID doc didn't want me to start on anything unless I was having symptoms. This does not feel like IBS...I'm having no cramping. Didn't the first time I got it last year. Time will tell. I'm not throwing in the towel, yet! Hanging tough. My ID doc has agreed to see me for this since 2 of them have been e-coli and that is infectious disease. He's a blessing! Just can't see him until the 18th. I'm sure he'll send me for appropriate testing. Not satisfied with my urologist...don't keep throwing abx after abx at me...figure it OUT!

Karen

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:02 am

klt03301 wrote:Just can't see him until the 18th. I'm sure he'll send me for appropriate testing. Not satisfied with my urologist...don't keep throwing abx after abx at me...figure it OUT!

Karen

I hope you aren't relapsing Karen, none of us need to go through this again! And yeah, I would look elsewhere for a cure to these urinary tract infections, some US doctors (all I know, never gone elsewhere) seem to just toss endless rounds of antibiotics at you when they don't know what's wrong, almost like they hope something will fix you and then you'll stop bothering them. They don't realize they are possible creating more problems than they are fixing.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi you guys!

I am fine today! (Other than UTI). Gurgling and other symptoms stopped in early hours of the morning! Ate breakfast; no problems! Last night I decided to start waking myself in the middle of the night to take probiotics, and will do this until I'm cleared of UTI and off abx. Of course, I'm taking them during the day, too, along with florastor.

Today, I'm saying to heck with the pain and I'm going to the gym. I'm just going to have to work through this. I even treated myself to coffee on an empty stomach, saying to heck with that too! It was delicious, but I rarely drink it and I know it's not good during UTI.

Sangeeta, I googled Cantharis and found some very good information. I'm calling the naturopath who helped me with C Diff to see if he can recommend something. I don't have the money to see him. It's obvious I'm resistant to these abx. Not only is it a waste to take them, I'm possibly feeding the bacteria just to become resistant to other abx that I may need in the future, and placing myself at risk for C diff again.

I really can't believe I've made it this long on abx w/o return of C Diff, so, that should give others hope!!!! If I get it, so be it, but, taking over a months supply of abx w/o it coming back yet will hopefully give others encouragement.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I appreciate it so much! Will keep you posted.

Karen

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to update you:

Dropped off my 5th urine specimen today for UTI...symptoms still there. I finished my Augmentin yesterday. Still taking florastor and other probiotics...been eating very healty foods such as raw veggies and fruits. Urologist says that even if I have another UTI, they are going to take a look with the camera on the 18th...see my ID doc that day, also. Been continuing my home rememdies. Oh well...

Here's the good news...so far no C diff, but I'm still waiting on that. If I have another UTI, round 5 of abx coming up. I know they'll figure this out sooner or later...just wish it'd be sooner! Playing Russian Roulette.

Karen

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:23 am

Karen,
That is really lousy, that you have been fighting such a long battle with UTIs and antibiotics. Ugh. I hope they find something with the camera (ouch, that sounds very uncomfortable!). I'm with you, let them figure this out ASAP. And no more cdiff!!! Hang in there. We're all pulling for you here!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:13 pm

Thank you so much, Nancy! Not looking forward to the camera thingy, but, I'm eager to see if they find something. Also, they sent my sample off to look for cancer cells. At least I'm moving in the direction of hopefully getting a diagnosis. Sometimes, not knowing what's wrong is more stressful than knowing what is. Thanks again for your support, and everyone else's!

Karen

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:32 pm

Good luck, Karen. The camera thing really isn't that bad. Just have pyridium on hand after if you need it. I didn't use it. I've also had the urine tested for cancer cells. I'm surprised they didn't do that before. Don't worry about it - you would probably have other symptoms besides bacteria in there, but it is good to check it out. Let us know how it goes.

Beth

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:37 am

KLT- I had a cystoscopy done in December and they found a kidney stone buried up in the bladder wall and that was what was causing me problems as the bladder was not emptying out properly. Make sure to request to be "PUT OUT" for the cystoscopy or close to it anyway. I made the mistake of foregoing that request-------and once he was in and discovered the stone he had to laser it out with me fully awake---NO FUN. He later told my husband I was one tough cookie but I then told him remember it as it won't be done to me again without sedation.
Cindy

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”