Question about probiotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Question about probiotics

Postby pinkangel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:14 am

When we take probiotics does it take over the gut and cause most of the bad organisms to die off and the new probiotic bacteria to take over? If we stop taking them do the bad bacteria come back in high numbers?

I have bought some align at the request of my GI doc. Also got a RX for the swish and swallow nystatin. I am just wondering if it could kill off the bad bacteria permanently and if you would have to take it for life to kill the bad bacteria or if your gut would eventually recover? Do the probiotics also get rid of candida albicans?

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:58 am

If anything I think the probiotics simply help crowd out the unhealthy stuff,which will help aide your own flora to regenerate. Taking probiotics for life mostly is not neccessary,however many do continue with them long term, usually at lower doses once recovered.
Hoping for a cure.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:33 am

Florastor is supposed to help get rid of candida. It is a good yeast that supposedly helps crowd out the bad yeast.

pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Postby pinkangel » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:53 pm

So far the align seems to be helping a bit. My BMs are a little better and I feel a little better inside but tons of gas. I am not sure if this is from the probiotic or the problem with my insides.

Does our natural flora come from bacteria and bugs we just injest over our life time some good some bad?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:08 pm

When I took Align it gave me really bad gas and later cramping. It said in the literature that this can happen and that your body should adjust after a week or two, so if it is tolerable, try to stick it out and see if it improves. It is supposed to.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”