New - Could this be C-Diff?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
monica37
Brand New Poster

New - Could this be C-Diff?

Postby monica37 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to have C-Diff and not have diarrhea, but to just have joint pain that moves from joint to joint? Here is the reason why I ask. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with UC (no family history) when she was 4. Her only symptom was bloody diarrhea that came on suddenly. Though she had not recently been on an antibiotic, she was pretty much on an antibiotic at least once a month during her first 2 years of life and many times there after because of chronic ear infections. They never tested her for C-Diff at the time of her UC diagnosis, but a year later when she went on an antibiotic for Strep, she tested positive for it. After a round of Flagyl she was fine and went 6 years without any medication for her UC. However, during the past 6 years anytime she went on an antibiotic she would have severe joint pain in her legs where she couldn't walk. This would usually last several days and clear up. In May she went on Omnicef for an ear infection and has experienced joint pain ever since. Her stools were a little loose so we had a colonoscopy which showed patchy inflammation through out her colon. Her doctor ordered a test for C-Diff which we have done twice but have both been negative. He suspected that maybe she had Crohn's and not UC because the inflammation was patchy (which is indicative of Crohns, not UC). Upper GI with small bowel follow thru and upper endoscopy were both fine. I read some where that C-Diff could also present as patchy inflammation. Anyway, as soon as the joint pain started after finishing the Omnicef, I started her on VSL#3. She is now also on Asacol because of the colonoscopy results, but is still having joint pain. It's hard to tell if the Asacol is doing anything, because she never had problems with her stools, except for several days of slightly loose stools right before the colonoscopy. I guess I'm wondering if this could be a C-Diff infection since it all started when she went on the Omnicef and because she has been relatively fine the past 6 years, except when she goes on an antibiotic. Should I push for another c-diff test, even though her stools are fine? Sorry so long, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:18 am

Not sure if it is C Diff, however, I was taking Omnicef when I got mine, and I had been on numerous antibiotics through the years without any C Diff. I also suffer joint pain and eye inflammation/redness periodically. A test wouldn't hurt, if it eases your mind.
Hoping for a cure.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”