Son needs antibiotic

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Son needs antibiotic

Postby Suezer » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:41 am

My son lived with me thruough the beginning months of my C Diff ordeal. He has an infected tooth that needs root canal(front tooth) the Dr. gave him a script for Amoxicillin. I told him to call her and ask if he could take Penecillin.

I also gave him a box of Florastor and told him to take that 2 times a day with whatever RX he gets. Is this the best one to protect him? Also wonder if he should take it through the whole rx treatment or after? Or both?

He has a baby on the way and is trying to join the national guard, Would just hate for him to have to deal with possible C Diff :/
Hoping for a cure.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Sue, Florastor is the proper probiotic to give him. It's a yeast and cannot be killed by antibiotics. It's also active against C-Diff for some, but probably even better for those who have never had C-Diff as a means of preventing it.

He should take it twice a day during his entire course of antibiotics and then at least one week after he stops, preferably two weeks because the abx will continue to be active for a while after he comes off them. This isn't my advice, it's the advice of both my GI and one of the two professionally written books I have on probiotics, might be bacteria for breakfast.

Working preventatively, as long as he takes the Florastor, he should be fine. If only all of us knew this before C-Diff, a proper mix of probiotics beforehand could have saved us all.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Suezer,
Don't panic. Your son might not be susceptible to C. diff. PenVK should "do it" for bacteria in the mouth. It has a narrower spectrum than Amoxicillin, BUT any antibiotic (including Flagyl - rarely) can cause C. diff.

I'm "iffy" on Florastor, but it has helped others. Remember, what helps one, doesn't help another, but worth "a shot."

I'll bet he does OK.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanks, He was given a RX for Amoxicillan, I asked him to please ask the dentist to change it to Penecillan. She did so and he started taking it two days ago. I am really trying not to worry..
Hoping for a cure.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:23 am

Hey Sue,

I have been on 3 abx over the past month and a half. I've been taking 4 florastor a day and triplilng my probiotics. I wasn't taking florastor prior to starting the abx. They haven't bothered me a bit, nor has tripling the probiotics. My daughter and grandson now take culturelle/florastor when they have to be on abx, and for a couple of weeks afer.

Best of luck to your son; you gave him some good advice about asking to change the abx!

Karen

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”