my symptoms

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
prazum
New User

my symptoms

Postby prazum » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:40 pm

was diagnoised in May 2008, then again in Jan 2009 but think it just never went away. Hard to tell if I have diarea or not since I have severe gastro problems lost most of my small intestine and have an ostomy bag. Been on Vanco and other stuff since then but on constanly since Jan. and now even having audio problems as a side effect. Seen several gastro. spec. infectious desease spec. my surgeon and general prac. All scratching thier head and now think Iv'e been losing the anti biotics thru my abdominal fisula. The gas, bloating and unbearable smell are harder to live with each day. Any advise would be realy appreciated. Resistant to treatment.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Have your doctors recommended any probiotics for you at all ?- I know that VSL#3 can be used by people who have had abdominal surgery and have some type of "pouch". Since you have special circumstances you should ask the doctor which probiotic is safe for you to use. There are other medications that are given for c difficile - look under Dr. Barody's article on the site here and he talks about the different ones. Hopefully, your strain is not resistant to all of them. Sometimes they give one and then another as a "chaser" which is what I am doing now. I would probably read the information and then ask the doctor about the different possibilities - the probiotics, different medications, etc. I did not do very well on vanco this last time and got some of the symptoms you described. Perhaps the doctor can try one of the other meds for you and see if you do better with it.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:29 pm

prazum,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

Whew, you surely have been through the mill! I am so sorry. With so many medical problems I would suggest that you might try another doc, but it sounds like you have already tried a whole bunch of them. My ID doc helped me more than any of the others. I think some of the docs in the list on the site will accept phone calls, and maybe someone here knows which ones might. I hope some folks here will have other ideas for you. Good luck. Hang in there.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”