Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
markjs
New User

Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS

Postby markjs » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:32 pm

So I have heard a lot about Florastor, and I am going to try Jarrow's preparation which also contains "MOS" which is supposed to also battle bad bacteria. I have had little luck with anything getting my flora balance back yet, though Vanco has a temporary effect. My biggest problem is that I am on a fixed income and an incredibly tight budget, and I have to pay for all treatments except Vanco out of pocket. Fortunately the Jarrow product seems legit and is very inexpensive.

Two questions I guess. I know you guys are hesitant to endorse anything as a treatment, but I found this yeast mentioned by name on the Mayo clinic's website. I have to believe that these guys, being pretty much the epitome of the finest of the mainstream medical establishment, would not endorse this as a treatment measure for recurrent cases unless they have seen a great deal of evidence to support that. I just wonder who it doesn't seem to have gotten a whole lot of coverage in the "Treatments" forum (or perhaps I just didn't find much).

The second question is I would like to hear some from others who have used this in conjunction with Vanco or Flagyl? Thanks in advance.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:59 pm

I used Florastor (Saccharomyces boulardii) while I had C-Diff and continue to do so post C-diff. I found an article promoting Florastor via the internet by Dr. Patricia Raymond, Gastroenterologist from Chesapeake, Virgina. You can find this article on the internet by typing in "Fight Against Recurrent C. Diff reveals Significant Role for Yeast-Based Probiotic. Good luck to you!

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:45 am

I have used the Jarrow formula you mention since the get-go. I tried the Florastor by Biocodex last month and It really made me feel worse, so I went back to the Jarrow Formula. I feel it helps alot. I have been taper/pulsing Vanco also since February. Currently taking 1 -250mg pill every other day. Will speak to ID Dr. this week to see whats next..
Hoping for a cure.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:27 am

Suezer - What difference did you find with the Jarrow brand from Florastor. Every doctor I've seen told me to take Florastor, but when I tried it last year it did not agree with me. It gave me a lot of gas, looser stools, and possibly a rash. I'm thinking of trying the Jarrow brand that you mentioned - was interested in specifically how it helps vs. Florastor.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:41 am

I experienced alot of fatigue when I switched to the Florastor, and had increased rumbling. Was strange, for sure, so I switched back to the Jarrow formula due to I like my energy and a quiet colon.
Hoping for a cure.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”