Food intolerance

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Food intolerance

Postby Suezer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:49 am

I think I have experienced for the first time a bad reaction to something I ate. I have been craving ice cream for a long time, so I thought I would try some Lactose free ice cream, the next day I had terrible lower back cramping,not an ache..cramps. I am wondering if it was the ice cream? Is this typical of a a food intolerance? Just not sure how others feel when they eat something they cannot tolerate..since up to now nothing has had that effect on me, as I am usually quite careful what I eat.
Hoping for a cure.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:36 am

I think it is IBS tyoe symtoms JUST a bad tummy ache etcc..... from something your body wasn t use to it was NEW! May be wrong but we all know there are certain foods that when you eat they just messsssss you up tummy wise badly, right. Least I hope this was it?

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:25 pm

I still get them, Sue, and you know how long I've been off vanco...over a year. I've just learned to deal with them.

Hope you're feeling better today!

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:10 pm

Since C Diff one food in particular just kills me figuratively!!!!!!!!!1 I used tto eat allllllllll the time and loved them!!!!!!! Onion Rings :((((((((((((((((((((((((

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:42 am

Hey Vike,I still cant eat onions..in any form either :(
Hoping for a cure.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:01 am

Through alot of trial and error, bad attempts at longer pulses, I have discovered something that may help others..not sure..

I was using lactose free milk for cereal, and also drinking "alot" of green tea.

I have stopped both, and my lower back pain is lessend.

I believe that even though something may be lactose free..it is still very much a dairy product and those of us with injured colons may have sensitivities to such things for awhile.

As for the green tea, I simply ran out of it and kept forgetting to get more, I am not sure if it is anything to do with the lessened symptoms,but I have read articles and things posted by people online that they experienced lower back ache and cramping after drinking alot of green tea!
Hoping for a cure.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:06 am

I had problems with lactose free milk too and now use rice milk instead.

jenk30
New User

Postby jenk30 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:13 pm

C Diff caused me to be lactose intolerant as well. I know what it was like at first when I noticed the intolerance, I would get straight out D with horribly severe cramping that would have me doubled over on the floor. I can tolerate it to a greater extent now. I don't get D, but my stool frequency increases. I don't know how well lactose tablets work. I purchased them; I just keep forgetting to put them some place handy.

The strange thing for me after C Diff was I cannot seem to handle any type of milk-like substance. I've tried both soymilk and rice milk only to have similar symptoms. I usually get an increase in my stool frequency for that day, just like with the dairy. It's very frustrating.. cereal is pretty much a no go unless I just eat it dry.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:21 pm

What I use is not actually rice milk, it is called Rice Dream rice drink - original classic. They have an enriched, which I don't use. I'm not sure if there is a difference or if that is what you ued. I don't tolerate the soy milk either and haven't tried the almond milk or drink. This rice drink is not in a refrigerated section - it comes in a carton like container too, but is stored at room temperature.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:13 am

Sue,

I drink Rice Dream Enriched, Vanilla flavored...it is really good. I can eat ice cream now, and drink whole milk w/o a problem, but this was not the case for months after my bout w/C Diff. I know some people are left with lactose intolerance, but mine cleared up with time. Keep taking those probiotics...I have become convinced that they, along with Florastor have worked wonders for me...even my pre c diff IBS is gone. I've found I like the taste of the rice milk in my cereal better than cow's milk. They even sell rice milk ice cream...the rice milk ice cream sandwiches were good!

Karen

jenk30
New User

Postby jenk30 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:42 pm

The rice dream drink is the drink I tried. I'm convinced it's something to do with the consistency that bothers my stomach, because it happens with any milk-like substance, whether it has dairy or not. I didn't try anything else after the rice dream didn't work out. Rice milk is supposed to be one of the easiest to digest. I've just learned to accept it. My stomach just isn't the same after c diff.

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:47 am

I also drink a fortified rice beverage and have found no issues with it. As for dairy products it is not only the lactose but more so the casin protien that causes issues for those with IBS. Casin can be found in many other products so do watch out for it. I can't drink any of the soy products but that doesn't suprise me as it is from the bean family.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”