Azo for urinarty tract infection?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:59 pm

Update: I have only two more days left of Macrobid for UTI...unfortunately, I am no better. This is the strangest UTI I've ever had...the symptoms come and go. 2 nights ago I would have sworn it was gone...next morning...started all over again. I am now having severe pain in my lower right abdomen, like someone sticking a knife in me.

I have cultured e-coli infection; talked to PCP today. Finish out the Macrobid; if not succesful...she's going to put me on Augmentin or Keflex. NO FREAKIN WAY!

I have done everything I know to do...cranberry pills, water, water, water. Still tripling my probiotics trying to avoid C-Diff. I'm going to buy some D-Mannose tomorrow...probably won't help, but I'm just going to keep trying.

I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, and allergic to Cipro...wouldn't take the Cipro anyway. Doc pretty much told me today, if I get C-Diff....oh, well! Screw you! Have you ever had it????!!!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:17 am

I took the Cipro and got a relapse in spite of being on vanco right after. I don't blame you for not wanting to take it. I'm not going to ever take it again unless it is something really, really, serious. Did they culture your urine to see what other antibiotics the infection is sensitive to? Maybe there is another that is less likely to cause you a relapse.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:24 am

Hi Beth,

Yes, they cultured it. As far as I know, she said Augmentin, Keflex, Cipro, a sulpha drug, Macrobid, and some type of cillin would kill it. I chose Macrobid because my mother, who has had c-diff more than once, took it without having to take flagyl (the only time she's taken an antibiotic without flagyl) and she didn't relapse. Macrobid didn't rid her of the UTI either. I know Bobbie takes it as a maintenance to keep UTIs away, and it hasn't caused her to relapse. Darn, I really wish this would work!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:25 am

I sure hope it clears up for you. Especially since you're come so far. I was c diff negative for 7 months when I took the Cipro just a few weeks ago and it didn't even clear up the infection either, but I'll just have to live with it - UTI you can't just "live with." I can tell you that my mom has had many UTI's. In fact she had one very serious one called VRE (vancomycin resistant enterococcus) and they had to give her some antibiotic IV when she was in the rehab hospital. This was post c diff and she didn't get the c diff back if I remember correctly. After some of her infections were gone she complained of some of the symptoms you are describing and they cultured the urine and there was nothing there, but the irritation inside the bladder was causing the symptoms. They gave her something to take for it - not an AB and it got better. I suppose Flagyl is not a choice for your infection? I know for certain things they give it, but probably not e-coli or your doctor would have told you. Good luck - I'll pray it clear up for you.

Beth

sangeeta
Regular User

Postby sangeeta » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:05 pm

I have had the UTI sympoms on and off for the past three months similar to yours, they come for a couple of days and then go away. My urine culture showed nothing. Even while writing now I am in agony, have tried lots of water, cranberry juice which irritated my stomach but to no avail. I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday and will see what he has to say. I am just hoping it is bladder irritation like beth suggested. I am hoping that the Macrobid would have cleared your preliminary infection and the symptoms are just residue of the infection. I do hope with all my heart that you do not have to take any other AB's. Like you I am also allergic to Cipro and this was the drug which gave me cdiff. All the best and take care!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:49 am

Sangeeta and Beth...thank you both so much for your responses. I'm hoping that it is just remaining irritation, but...it is the most painful UTI I've ever had...and it comes and goes...how weird.

Sangeeta; ever since I've had C-Diff, I get irritable bladder along with irritable bowel. The pain is very similar to UTI, and each time has come back clear. It would subside in a day or two. I was really hoping and thinking that's what this was. I just want this to be over with. I can't do anything I enjoy...gym, cycling...it hurts to walk. It even hurts to sit. I take AZO for the pain, but I try not to take it often b/c I don't want to mask symptoms of UTI.

Will let you guys know. Before I take another abx...I'm getting a culture!

Karen

sangeeta
Regular User

Postby sangeeta » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:31 pm

I went to the doctor today, could not stand the pain any more. He has done a urine culture and am waiting for the results now. He has given me Ditropan 1 tab. every day for 7 days, I am not sure if I will take it. He was mentioning that irritable bowel and irritable bladder go hand in hand for lots of people. For me i have the same symptoms like yours, every time it came for the past three months it would clear up but this time for some reason there is immense pain, i can't walk without pain. I am just hoping I do not have to take an antibiotic for I am only 5 months post cdiff and have still not felt normal at all. I do hope that you will not have to take an antibiotic again and this will clear up after you finish macrobid. I wish you luck and take care!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:14 pm

That is interesting what you guys are saying about the irritable bowel and irritable bladder. My mom had IBS even before getting the c diff and the bladder problems as well. Of course in her case, being 88, it might be lack of hormones playing a role in her bladder, making it atrophic, but nonetheless I think there is that component. What she takes now which seems to help her is Detrol - it may have a different name in Canada, not sure. She also takes one a day and rarely complains of the bladder pain.
I know she used to take all kinds of stuff, but this seems to have been the best for her. They advertise it for people who have frequency, but it helped her with the pain. She is on a ton of other medications too - blood pressure pills, anti anxiety, anti depression, coumadin, etc. etc. etc. and I don't know if any of these help too, but I don't think so because she was on most of this stuff prior to the Detrol and had the symptoms. In fact, she used to go to be dilated and even that didn't help. You could ask your doctor about this medication if your symptoms continue - I don't know much about it at all, just that it has helped her and thought I would pass it along. Good luck to both of you and I will continue my prayers for you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Do remember now - the Detrol is mostly for bladder spasms and that is why it helps for frequency, but since bladder spasms also cause pain for some people it helps those. Check with your doctors.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:45 am

Sangeeta...I am really sorry you're having this problem. I KNOW it hurts! I can only say what I would do, and that is...have the culture come back before abx if at all possible! My doc gave me Azo for pain; told me to take it 3xday until my culture came back, b/c she knew I'd had c-diff and didn't want to start me on anything unless culture grew bacteria and she knew what would kill it. You can buy it over the counter...she prescribed heavier strength. She made sure to tell me, though, that if I developed pain/tenderness in kidney area, fever, nausea or vomiting before the culture came back, to call her. Today is the first day in 2, going on 3 weeks that I've been pain free. I am praying it stays this way...but, tonight I had D and cramping for the first time in months. Could just be IBS. Hoping so. Even if C-Diff returns, I will deal with it...got no choice.

I'm praying that you don't have a UTI...bless your heart. I know how terrifying this is for you being 5 months out and still not feeling normal. I've tripled my probiotics, but be careful doing that if you go on abx...some can't tolerate it.

I'm hoping for the best for you!!!!

Beth, I took Detrol for a little while after a bad UTI in 2000. After the UTI cleared, I was still in a lot of pain and going very frequently. It helped a lot, so thank you for that suggestion. As of now, I try to avoid all meds, period. I do take 3 at night for my fibro, but they don't cause me any problem. I don't even take a tylenol. :-( If my UTI has cleared and I'm just having irritation, I'll continue the Azo for a bit. I hate even doing that, b/c it can mask the symptoms of UTI, but pain is pain, and sometimes I just can't take it anymore. I pray I wake up tomorrow feeling as good as I did today! Thank you so much for your prayers!

Karen

sangeeta
Regular User

Postby sangeeta » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:25 pm

Karen,

I read in the other post that you are feeling much better now and that you have not relapsed, I am so glad for you. Way to go! Just stay positive and it will never return.

I am still in a lot of pain but better than what I was 2 days back. Still waiting for my culture result, hopefully it will come on Monday. I was given Ditropan 5mg by my doctor but i have not taken it. Like you i just hate to take any medicine after cdiff, I would rather bear the pain. If the culture comes negative i might take ditropan. I am only 5 months post cdiff and have still not felt normal, I am sure to relapse if i take antibiotics. I am just praying that this goes away, although i doubt it cause it has been lingering on and off for the past 3 months.

Thank you so much for your concern and you take care of yourself!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Sangeeta,

Good for you for not taking abx before getting the culture results. If you cant wait it out and not get sicker, I think it's the best way to go. I'm hoping you have your results Monday. Please let us know what they are...my pain went away for several days and I finished my abx last night. Today...it's back. It's weird. So, I have to give another culture on Monday. If it's clean, I'm going to a urologist. I know that sometimes after a UTI you can still be in pain, but the pain can keep you from doing what you enjoy. I'm glad to hear yours is better; mine is, too, but it's still there. I'll check in with you and see how things are going. I'm praying you don't have a UTI!

I'm very relieved that my tummy is better...that's an understatement!

Karen

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”