Florastor side effect?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Florastor side effect?

Postby Suezer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:42 pm

Since @ February I had been taking the Jarrow brand of saccharomyces boulardii + MOS. Seemed fine with it, however recently(Friday) I decided to upgrade to the Biocodex brand -Florastor. The one most here are familiar with and seem to use. Now that I have switched, I notice I have "alot" of fatigue/tiredness, even something that resembles brain fog. I am not certain,but it just seems too coincidental that I have these symptoms after starting the Florastor. Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if it is an adjustment phase or perhaps I am not reacting well to it for some reason. And by fatigue I mean the kind where I feel like all I want to do is lie in bed, of course I have a job and other things so that is not an option for me, and this is something I have not experienced in many,many months.
Hoping for a cure.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:10 pm

Suezer:

Sounds familar as I had similar issues with Florastor...as a suggestion try cutting your daily intake by 50% and give it a couple of days to see if it makes a difference. We've got let our bodies take over at sometime. At least that's the thought process my Gi followed. It made sense to me... you can't keep dumping massive amounts of good flora into your GI system for an extended amount of time and not expect your body not to react.. At least that's my take.

Fire

Gee
New User

Postby Gee » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:27 am

I get that with florator, also some slight nausea too. I've tried to just take 1 in the evening after dinner to see if that would help in the morning and made a slight improvement. I just take it occasionally now. I think 2 a day was too much for me and I switched to Reuteri and some other Nature's Way one.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:42 am

Some people react like this to all kinds of Florastor, others have less problems with jarrow brand or more problems with jarrow and vice-versa with the Florastor brand.

I don't have any reaction to Florastor brand, but who knows if I tried Jarrow. If Jarrow was working better for you, stick with that, but do know you could be having an adverse reaction to Florastor like many people do with a variety of probiotics. You can try to stick it out and take one a day for a bit and see if it stops, but if not, go back to Jarrow, maybe your body can handle it better.

LFC in Virginia
New User

Postby LFC in Virginia » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:51 am

I have another 5 days of round 2 of Flagyl and I just started taking 2 Florastor capsules a day last week. Am noticing extreme tiredness, a little light-headedness and lack of appetite. Will cut down to 1 per day and see how that works. My family doc finally has referred me to a gi doc that he has been consulting with. Hope to see the gi doc soon. My best wishes and prayers go out to anyone still suffering. I know myself that even after just one month I have had it.

Bert

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The old brand only says 5 billion live yeast cultures or so..
The new one says 250 mg per pill. Hard to tell what is what.

I am trying to only take 1 of the new brand, but I may have to apply the old saying-if it isn't broke dont fix it;and go back to what was working.
Hoping for a cure.

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:42 pm

I took 4 a day while active with c-diff and continued three months after with that dose. I'm about 18 months post diff and still continue to take 2 per day for IBS. I think it helps and have had no problems with it but I know our bodies need to readjust to change so it may be that. Our Health Authority actually recommends it for IBS in their patient pamphlets and my pharmisist says more and more people are asking for it.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:13 am

I have always and only taken 2 a day, 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening.
Today I took just one and the fatigue was greatly reduced. Even with that said, when this package is gone I will go back to the Jarrow brand, have a ton more rumbling now (could be adjustment) Just was happier with a quiet abdomen, and more energy.
Hoping for a cure.

sahm1970
New User

Postby sahm1970 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Hmmm, I haven't had personally any problem with that probiotic. BUT how can anyone tell what's causing what after c-diff? Isn't the probiotic in our stomachs anyway? So why would it cause any problems? I googles the topic and can't find any evidence to support it having those side effect. (not to say though that you indeed are having them) I will ask my doctor what she thinks and reply again.

Hope you get more energy! And feel better!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”