Possibly back on antibiotics (help)

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:37 pm

klt03301 wrote:Hey Trob,

Don't know if you saw my post from today; but I'm fine! Feeling back to normal. Didn't have to take the vanco; now I'm just hoping it doesn't revisit down the road. Glad you're keeping your probiotics up; I never stopped taking mine and will take them for the rest of my life. I did triple them while on the abx. I'll keep checking here to see how you're doing. Wishing for the very best for you!

Karen

Karen that is amazing news, I'm so glad to hear it!!! I'm doing ok today as well, if it keeps up, I will restart abx Monday.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:57 pm

Latest update - So as I mentioned I didn't like the way my bowels were headed on the Amox, it wasn't C-diff, but it was starting to head in a poor direction, weirder than IBS. I informed the doctor and he had me come off Amox Friday. It seemed that I no longer had lyme type symptoms, but over the weekend I experienced an odd set of high stomach pains, gland aches in my throat and fatigue. All non lyme symptoms but also not C-diff. In fact, I think I felt worse with the antibiotics and right after then I did before I took them!

Sunday and today however, I feel fine all around. I saw the doctor and told him what was going on, he thinks I possibly have acid reflux (which I think I've had for years, I almost throw up after drinking juice sometimes) which explains the throat/high stomach ache/weird feeling near my heart in my esophagus. As for the lyme, he ran yet another different test (why don't they do them all at once!) because my last test result, while showing something that was possibly heading towards lyme, still showed negative overall. He was treating me as a precaution I guess, as some of the lyme bands are up, but most are normal.

So another set of lyme tests inbound, which will hopefully confirm or deny this. Meanwhile, I still wonder if I simply have a reactivated case of mono, which I first got in 2007 but I know can reactive in people who have had lyme. It can cause similar symptoms. I can't wait to get to the Naturopath Friday, she is in Connecticut, my neighbor and the epicenter of lyme disease.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:24 pm

I too have acid reflux and I am on Nexium. I was on twice a day for 4 months now once a day and my GI said he will take me off in next few months and then treat if it returns. My throat was so raw for months I could barely swallow. they did Endoscopy(twice) and Colonoscopy(3 times) when I had C diff. My esphagus had damage and Nexium has really done a good job of healing it.

monacat
Contributor

St Johns Wort,

Postby monacat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Rather then any more meds why not think of using St. Johns Wort? It is a common plant used in the natural treatment of anxiety and depression. Works like a charm. I have used it before and it just takes the edge off any obsessive thoughts you may have without the side effects meds may have. My husband has also used it and it has worked like a charm for him also. Though the bottle (the ones i have seen)say's take 3 pills start off (a day)with 1, sometimes thats all it takes! It's available everywhere (drugstores, healthfood stores). Works wonders!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:08 am

Trob: I am SO GLAD you don't have to take the antibiotics! I know you're relieved, and I'm so happy for you!!!! You know I had to recently take a 7 day course and I had a scare. Am doing fine now.

Good for you for being persistent with your doc! My PCP dropped me last year when I got C-Diff and was wanting answers to questions. C-Diff was no big deal to her...that's ok...got another one and an ID doc!

Again, so glad to hear this news!!!

Karen

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:55 am

klt03301 wrote:Trob: I am SO GLAD you don't have to take the antibiotics! I know you're relieved, and I'm so happy for you!!!! You know I had to recently take a 7 day course and I had a scare. Am doing fine now.

Good for you for being persistent with your doc! My PCP dropped me last year when I got C-Diff and was wanting answers to questions. C-Diff was no big deal to her...that's ok...got another one and an ID doc!

Again, so glad to hear this news!!!

Karen

Thanks Karen! I think I'm driving my doctor crazy lol, but he has an innate fear of C-Diff himself even though he has never had it, so he understands it's dangers and what it can do to you mentally. So he doesn't brush off my concerns when I tell him "things aren't right" thankfully.

Monacat, I will have to try that! I get so anxious when sick and something natural sounds good to me.

Vikingjeff, I'm just on over the counter Prilosec, and only on a "when needed" basis, hopefully that will be enough for me as I know acid reducers can cause higher C-diff susceptibility.

As for my condition, I'm still having some arm aches now and then, which I don't like, but overall I don't have anything else happening, no fever, no sweats, no heart problems, no joint aches, just arm and hand muscles aching each day for a while. It's very odd and if it's lyme, it's the weakest case of lyme ever, either that or my body has developed a method of fighting it somehow, like a cat lol.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:37 pm

Yeah, I asked my GI about it last Friday when I had my 4 month follow up appt. He said it is very rare to get from Nexium or any other Acid reducer(of course, we thought it was rare to get from abx). In my case he said I had damage in there and we needed to control it. I feel a TON better, no more sore throat for first time in a year! I take one Align and eat 2-3 yogurts every day. My weight has gone from 159(in the dark days of C diff Colitis) to 195 today. Every day I pray for the people who post on the board that they will be healed and for anyone suffering it will be a bad memory very soon.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”