DON'T use Splenda!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
pam2738
Regular Contributor

DON'T use Splenda!

Postby pam2738 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:40 pm

A word of warning: no one should use Splenda, but anyone with Cdiff absolutely must not! According to Dr David Williams (Alternatives, May 2009), Splenda wipes out 50% of the beneficial flora in the intestine! That is a colossal amount & for a Cdiffer, like taking two steps backward for each one forward!

I read this before somewhere sometime but forget where it was. Anyway I threw all my Splenda out!

Pam

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Yes this is true. In fact I returned a large bottle of V8 Frusion "Light" today. I accidentally grabbed it..I use the regular (not light) the light has Sucralose in it. Sucralose-=Splenda.

I saw a woman shopping with her elderly Mother yesterday, and she put a box of "Health Bunch" popsicles in her Mothers cart. Those are considered "Healthy" because of no sugar..but they are full of Splenda. How lovely!!
I did not say anything, but seriously wanted to!!!

The fact that there is Splenda in some yogurts is quite mind boggling in itself.
They should put on the back of the container, This yogurt has no sugar and "Contains Dead non active cultures."
Hoping for a cure.

pam2738
Regular Contributor

Postby pam2738 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Do you know which yogurts contain Splenda?

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Ok Suezer you had me rolling with the yogurt warning!! I actually LOL and my husband had to ask me what was so funny!

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:57 pm

Activia Light and Weight watchers yogurt for sure have it.

I try to avoid all the "light" things..most have splenda/sucralose.

Amanda glad you got a laugh, I laughed at myself today when I finally realized/admitted that I have a new side effect of C Diff-"gut flora" envy.
I realized it when I caught myself watching people walking around all happy,totally oblivious to the fact that they have something I want..healthy gut flora". lol sad but true. ;)
Hoping for a cure.

pam2738
Regular Contributor

Postby pam2738 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:24 pm

So does Dannon Light n' Fit. And Roberts Fat Free, altho I've never heard of that one.

Pam

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:32 am

It is "I" who first brought this to light! Check my history....I think after r4ading a story on yahoo's front page! I emailed Dan Active people and efendedd themselves via FDA etc whatever that this is not the case.....Negatie they are just ttrying to save more money as they make millions.billions off us AND yes it isa good product and dies work otherwise just get rid of this synthetic s*** and put just a dash of REAL sugar in it!

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:15 am

Yes Vike, I recall your original post. Also, to those reading,it is the Danactive "light" that contains the splenda/sucralose. I use the regular Danactive.
Hoping for a cure.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:20 pm

Read your labels CAREFULLY of anything that is a "sweeeeet" especially popsicles and even Ice cream all goodies for that matter probably sucralose and not real sugar no wonder our poor tummies often times get UPSET with the Big D for it is just this stuff causing the diff to rear its ugly head!!!!!!!!! Damn food makers....anything to make a buck and MOST proabably don t even realizee it could be deadly to your gut!!

Gee
New User

Postby Gee » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:23 am

NOOOOO! I'm gonna have to throw out the Edy's popcicles I bought! I had one last night and I had a crummy bathroom trip this morning. I better check the rest of my groceries...

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:21 pm

told ya!!!!!!1

preethav
New User

Postby preethav » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:58 pm

What about other sweeteners? Like acesulfame potassium? My husband drinks a protein drink from GNC that is sweetened with that. Do you folks know if that is a problem too?

He's sticking with the BRAT diet, but taking protein in the form of this supplement. Is this a bad idea?

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:14 am

There is a new product out called Sun Crystals, which is a combination of cane sugar and stevia. https://www.suncrystals.com/home/

Now I know the FDA doesn't allow stevia to be sold as a sweetener, even though it's on their GRAS list (Generally Recognized As Safe). They do allow it to be sold as a nutritional supplement. I'm guessing that Sun Crystals can be sold as a sweetener because of the sugar in it. But it must be a small amount of sugar relative to the stevia, because one packet has only 5 calories. Since sugar has 4 calories per gram, and there are no calories in stevia, there must be no more than 1.2 grams of sugar (carbs) in a packet. One teaspoon of granulated sugar contains about 4.2 grams. This might be a good choice for diabetics. One could just buy plain yogurt and add a packet of Sun Crystals. I'm going to try to find it in a store and will let you know how it tastes.

Hua Kul

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”