IBS/Ulcerative Colitis

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
HennyPenny68
Contributor

IBS/Ulcerative Colitis

Postby HennyPenny68 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:49 am

I'm just wondering about everyone who says they have IBS after c diff that maybe they actually have ulcerative colitis instead. Because after my last "battle" with c diff that is what I believed I had. Now it turns out after biopsy that I actually had ulcerative colitis. I would say that if you still have "issues" after a bout of c diff, you might need to be checked out.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:38 am

My initial C Diff episode was near exactly the same as my UC bouts were back 20 years ago. I was not one of those with C Diff who just suddenly had a lot of watery D. I had severe colon cramping, and I did not have watery D, I went right to shedding the protective lining of my colon, what some explain as "tissue" in the bowl. Frequency,urgency ect. That is how my UC felt back when It was active, so in the beginning I thought it had returned,but that made no sense after 20 years of remission, that is when I put 2 and 2 together and read up on the side effects of all the antibiotics I had taken prior. I am sorry you now have to deal with that on top of the C Diff issues. My ID was shocked to learn that I "had" UC, he asked me how I ever got it to go into remission, I explained to him that at first I was treated with the usual steroidal meds, and that later I took something called Lorazepam..which calms not only the nervous system but your insides also.
The mind/nervous system is very much in connection with our digestive tract especially when suffering from UC. At times, just thinking about something that was causing me stress at that time, would throw me right into an episode..yes 1 single thought proccess. It is very important to avoid things like lettuce and other insoluble fiber for awhile,whether you are recovering from C Diff or experiencing UC. Try to keep your stress levels at a minimum and keep your mind free of things that may trigger stress in your system. Learn relaxation techniques as well.

As you stated,it could be benefitial for C Diff sufferers to be checked for UC, I do believe alot here have had colonoscopies, and that would usually detect it.

It is something I will most definately have to do as well once I ever get off the Vanco.
Hoping for a cure.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:01 pm

Suezer - I had the "tissue in the bowl" after prepping for my conoloscopy with Nulytely and told my doctor who just shrugged his shoulders and said maybe it was the vanco, but I know it wasn't vanco, as I had taken it for so many months and had never seen this. Does this tissue grow back or do you know?

Beth

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:45 pm

It is basically the mucosal lining of the colon that is shed, I believe it does regenerate as the colon heals.
Hoping for a cure.

HennyPenny68
Contributor

Postby HennyPenny68 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:03 pm

Is this your first bout with c diff? This is my fourth bout and now to find out I have UC as well is very scary! I am being treated with vanco and asacol right now but I still haven't had a normal stool. I can relate to what you are saying about stress causing a flare up. I know that my body does not deal with stress very well and I have had lots of strange episodes. I know some of it is anxiety but I don't think all of it is.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:49 pm

Initial episode was @ January18th,I was diagnosed January 21. I relapsed on Feburary 5th after a 10 day course of Flagyl, and again on February 22nd,after a 2nd course of Flagyl.
I am since/still on a long taper/pulse of Vanco,currently pulsing 1 pill every 3rd day.
Hoping for a cure.

HennyPenny68
Contributor

Postby HennyPenny68 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:27 am

I hope this isn't TMI but was just wondering if you have normal BM's since you've been on the vanco? I have read that some people never had a normal one while they are still on vanco. Since I have battled c diff several times already, I don't know if I should do what you are doing and try to take vanco longer in hopes to eradicate the c diff or finish my current course and see what happens.

I'm also worried that I may not be correctly diagnosed with the ulcerative colitis and that I might possibly have crohn's. If so, those two illnesses are treated differently. With c diff, uc, and crohn's it's hard to tell what's causing what.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:08 pm

I dont really recall what normal was, I can tell you that I think they are not , I will pm you about this .

The benefit of a long tapered/pulsed course of Vanco, is that it mops up any left over spores, also it keeps you somewhat covered while your normal flora regrows. For those of us who have relapsed, it is usually a lingering spore(s) issue more so than new infection. The trick is to keep the C Diff down while allowing the normal flora to regrow- to keep any left over spores in check, once that is achieved. What type/course of Vanco are you taking?

I can tell you for certain that my C Diff when active is nearly exactly the same as my UC was, I even thought at first that my UC was back after 20 years remission, when in fact It was C Diff.

I was diagnosed with UC nearly 20 years ago after a scope/biopsy, they even gave me a picture of the inside wall of my colon during active UC (very bright red spots) then one when it was cleared..normal tan colored colon wall.
Hoping for a cure.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”