In-home fecal infusions in Calgary by a doctor

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

In-home fecal infusions in Calgary by a doctor

Postby Hua Kul » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:38 pm

Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere, but I came across an article from the January 1, 2009 edition of Internal Medicine News about Dr. Thomas J. Louie of Calgary, who has developed a home based procedure for fecal infusion, with great success.

http://www.articlearchives.com/medicine ... 301-1.html

The article summarized the treatment of 48 patients. 46 recovered fully, one relapsed after using a ppi, and the other one was expected to have a repeat procedure. One interesting note, 40% of patients who received feces from a non-genetically related donor developed IBS symptoms which lasted 3-6 months but none of the recipients of feces from genetic relations did.

God Bless,
--Hua Kul

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Dr. Louie does the procedure outside of the hospital as they will not approve the procedure as a treatment from the hospital. The fecal infusion is well accepted in Alberta and talked about frequently in healthcare but to date the procedure is not approved by our Healthcare system.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Is there any healthcare system in the world that officially approves of these procedures? I think it's well proven that they have a stunning success rate, eliminating the usage of tons of Flagyl/Vanco and most seem to have no or shorter attacks of PI-IBS after having it done. Yet it appears private insurers in the US don't cover it and many docs here have never heard of it/think it's insane. Carrie indicates it's not covered in Canada and there was someone earlier indicating it's not approved of in Western Europe either. Is it at least covered under Australia NHS due to Dr. Borody?

I'm not sure what the problem is with this becoming the mainline treatment for C-Diff that recurs more than once. Why waste time with months of pain and medications when you could just have this done and be better in 3 days?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:08 pm

This site doesn't endorse any procedures/and or products.

Although, the infusions are supposed to have a high "cure" rate, there is always some risk & some failures. Again, "Buyer beware."

However, if I were desperate, I would try almost anything -- after a lot of research & doublechecking.
Last edited by Bobbie on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:38 pm

Buyer beware is right. You might just trade one problem for another like I did. Like anything else, it works for some and not for others.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”