Probotics and Vanco? discontinue all buy florastor?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
nancysueh
New User

Postby nancysueh » Thu May 28, 2009 7:26 pm

I was given many probotics to my husband but he testes posstive 3 times and the Dr put him on Vancomycin again for 2 weeks.

He was having regular bowl movemtns 2 a day.

Should I now discontinue the probotics as they will be killed by the vanco? or maybe just give them to him 3 hours after the vanco as it is given every 6 hours?

I can still contintue the florastor as it is not killed by vanco.

I can't wait for this to be over. Nancy

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Thu May 28, 2009 8:01 pm

Probiotics are still fine for him to take, it is recommended to space them apart from the Vanco by about 4 hours so they have a better chance of working. Florastor can be taken anytime since it is not killed off by the Vanco.
Hope this helps.
Hoping for a cure.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Thu May 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Cant edit posts, just wanted to add a thing. If the probiotics dont bother him,they "should be" ok to continue, however if you have any doubt or concerns,best to consult his Dr. I dont really know what you are all giving him so I cant really say what is /is not ok. Most people find that probiotics help them, myself included.
Hoping for a cure.

nancysueh
New User

probotics

Postby nancysueh » Thu May 28, 2009 9:07 pm

I am giving him
2 TWICE A DAY OF Essential Formulas Dr. Ohhira's Probiotics 12 Plus
Original Formula
* 1 of Nutrition Now PB 8 Pro-Biotic Acidophilus for Life --
* 1 of Nature's Way Primadophilus® Reuteri
Cureltlle Florator and
2 OF lactobacillus and
1 OF Jarro-Dophilus

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Thu May 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Wow thats alot of of Probiotics. If he tolerates them, fine. Personally I would be running for the toilet I think! But that is just me. Some do fine with a lot,others, like myself do better with less. I only take Florastor 1 pill 2 x a day. All the rest I get is via food..yogurt,kefir ect. Things like plain oatmeal are good as well, as it feeds the healthy gut flora, and sooths the stomach.
Hoping for a cure.

nancysueh
New User

food

Postby nancysueh » Thu May 28, 2009 10:12 pm

I have been giving him yogert, keifer the brat diet.
I've been keeping track of the fiber and protein and calories of everything he eats. dan active i give him also.

His stools are good, twice a day. I'm so nervous about this vancomycin. I can't wait till the two weeks are up.
also I will take another stool sample in so in case it tests negative I can stop the vancomycin
also i give him oil of oregengo 4 drops in liquid once a day.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:34 am

It is best to take a stool sample about 10 - 14 days or so after stopping vanco (or Flagyl). Otherwise you risk getting a false negative result.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”