Abdomenal Pain?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
trob25
Regular Contributor

Abdomenal Pain?

Postby trob25 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi all, how long did you experience intestinal pain after getting "cured" of your C-diff. I ask because I seemingly go months without it, I think my current streak I've gone 3 months straight without the slightest bit of abdominal pain. Then bam, yesterday out of nowhere pain in my upper left side under the rib cage, then it rotated down to my lower left side today. aches on and off all day, nothing else happening, just pain.

I had this a lot when I first recovered, in fact the pain seemed to rotate in a circle to all four corners of my abdomen a few days a week, then stop and start again. But it's really died down significantly since January, which I guess I shouldn't be complaining about. But it seems odd to meat 8+ months since coming off Flagyl, the D I understand, but this I don't as it usually happens by itself with no other effects.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Wed May 27, 2009 1:47 pm

Wow you just described my stomach but I never make it 3 months without it! I have just decided it is my large intestine throwing a temper tantrum. I also get very very bad debilatating pain. It usually comes in a 3 or more day spurts. I literally at times have to take pain meds because it is so severe but it is just my version of IBS. I think it is a spasm and my also feels inflamed or swollen during it. Very tender but I have just decided this is the new normal. You should be ecstatic that you had a 3 month run without it, that is amazing! I think as time goes by it will just continue to work itself out.

Amanda

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu May 28, 2009 1:27 am

Trob- could be an episode from cdiff but it also could be kidney stones. Have you ever had them? You might want to get urinalysis done (or get a store kit) to test for blood which is a sure indication that could be what you are dealing with. I would think it unlikely after this length of time to getting worse as usually the IBS after cdiff stays about the same or gets better but no worse. Good luck! I have dealt with both cdiff and kidney stones and the pain can really feel much the same!
Cindy

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks to both of you for replying. Today it's gone again after 2-3 days and so it goes. I don't think it's kidney stones though as I was last at a urologist in November for a follow up on frequent urination that began with my lyme disease (rare side effect, but has happened to people). Note that November was two months after my C-Diff when I was still experiencing the worst pain bouts on and off. I had urinalysis done then and some type of bladder scan and all was clear. I've also never had a kidney stone in my life.

I'm guessing it's IBS related as anlock mentioned her IBS causes this, and the pain rotates around to all four corners of my abdomen, upper, lower, left and right, which I'm not sure if kidney stone pain causes that? As anlock mentioned, I'm probably lucky this has reduced to happening every couple of months now instead of every week or two like it used to when I first "recovered." So I'll just slug it out as long as it continues to dissipate on its own and not get worse or last for a week straight.

I guess I just find it odd because it's not consistent. I go through months or a month of being fine, eating many different foods etc. and feeling like it's all over, then bam, pain (or D). If it occurred all the time or certain things caused it, it would make more sense, but I don't know why I can eat steak or empanadas one day and be fine for 30 days straight, then eat the same thing another time and have D or pain for days?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:30 pm

The lack of consistency with post-cdiff problems has been a source of frustration for me too. As you say, sometimes a food will cause a problem, and sometimes it won't. This happens even with foods that I eat often.
All of a sudden, bam. Then I can have D for up to 2 weeks (although usually it's only a few days). It makes it very hard to know what to eat, and more important, what not to eat. So I have had a fairly limited diet after cdiff, sigh. I would rather eat fewer foods and suffer less.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:47 am

I'm 15 months out of from diagnosis; stopped vanco 4/08 and I still get abdominal soreness and rectal pain...don't know what causes it or what makes it go away. It can happen even after eating something I previously did without a problem. Still get the bloating, too.

Do have some good news...ate a piece of lettuce, some raw celery and some apple with the peel for the first time in 15 months and had no problems for days.

Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 29, 2009 12:53 pm

Same here. I've been "over" active C. diff. since l999 (before it, I had a "cast iron stomach") & I still have bad days now and then with cramping, D., etc. They have been fewer lately, however, as time passes. See FAQ-IBS.

I've found stress sometimes contributes but not always. If I eat popcorn two days in a row, this can also contribute but not always.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”