Occasional glass of Wine appropriate after having C-Diff?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Occasional glass of Wine appropriate after having C-Diff?

Postby Kathy George » Fri May 15, 2009 1:45 pm

I have read from time to time through C-Diff Support Group that some of you have a glass of wine from time to time. It's been 55 plus days since I've been off Vanco and wondering if an occasional glass of wine can harm the good flora in your intestines? I was use to having a glass of wine when we went out to eat or on special occasions, but am reluctant to do so since I was diagnosed with C-Diff. Would appreciate any feedback that you can give me. Thanks.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri May 15, 2009 2:08 pm

Hello Kathy,
Everyone is different. Personally I have had beer on various occasions,even a light mixed Brandy/coke. I am still on a Taper/pulse of Vanco which began back in February. Pulsing at the moment 1 every other day. What I have done is made sure I have a full stomach, I keep the drinks to a minimum never exceeding 3 and I make sure they are stretched over a few hours. I read that alcohol can deplete our Folic acid stores ..Folic acid helps our good bacteria do its job. I have often taken a Folic acid supplement after any alcohol intake. I have had no adverse effects.

There is one poster who could not even drink one glass of wine with out some sort of issues. Again, everyone is different.
Hoping for a cure.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi Kathy!

Totally agree with Suezer, everyone is different. If you feel good and think you can handle a glass of wine go for it! The only way you are going to be able to know if your system is going to be able to handle it is to try it. I found out that I can handle beer and wine but, no mixed drinks of any kind.

Just like introducing food back into your system after cdiff, drinking is the same thing it is trial and error.

Also Congrats on being 55 days Cdiff free that is wonderful!
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 16, 2009 2:06 pm

Kathy George

Yep, everyone is different. My policy is: "Everything in moderaton; nothing in extreme."

Interesting about folic acid. I didn't know that. Thx. for the info. Folic acid can be found in many foods including green, leafy vegetables.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sun May 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks for the input. Think I will wait until 90 days post C-Diff. I was just wondering as this is the time of year that more events take place resulting in more socialization with friends and acquaintances. Right now the fear outweights the gain. I must say this is a wonderful support group site. During the last 6 months I have gained so much positive and thoughtful information from so many sincere and well verse individuals.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”