Post Cdiff colonoscopy

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
pam2738
Regular Contributor

Post Cdiff colonoscopy

Postby pam2738 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Has anyone here had a colonoscopy post-cdifrf? I have read that in some very few cases that the colonoscopy prep can cause Cdiff. Is this true? What is known about this?

Thanks,

Pam

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Pam:

I've had the "pleasure" of a couple. I didn't relaspe, but I can see how it possibly happen if you were borderline on relasping. Prepping flushes everything out both good and bad. I did a short taper of Vanco and probitoics just as an insurance to prevent a relapse.

Fire

Gee
New User

Postby Gee » Sun May 10, 2009 4:11 pm

I had a colonoscopy post cdiff. I thought the prep actually helped me, even though I hated it at the time. I felt a bit sore down there, but also scrubbed out. I stayed on my probiotics and normal bland diet before and after.

paulah
Regular Contributor

Postby paulah » Tue May 12, 2009 6:34 pm

In the 5 yeas since I had cdiff and checked this web site, I have only read about one other person beside me who got cdiff while doing a bowel prep. I was on antibiotics when I did the bowel prep and was very undernourished as I had liver problems and couldn't eat. I don't remember if the other person who got cdiff from the prep was on antibiotics.

I've read literature against colon cleansing products, saying it disrupts the gut flora.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Hey Pam I had a colonoscopy 6 months after I had gotten off the vanco and thank goodness no c-diff. I just got it done because I wanted to be 100% sure nothing else was wrong since I was still having some minor issues. What is the reason for the colonoscopy just because you had the c-diff or are you having issues still? I never really heard of having one if you were feeling fine and tested negative for the c-diff, but of course your doctor knows better then me. I wouldn't worry about getting the c-diff back though it's a possiblity but a very slim one. My doctor told me it couldn't happen. However, people on here and doctors on here have said it could in rare cases. Good luck with it.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:49 am

My understanding is that everyone is supposed to have a colonoscopy starting at about age 50, and then about once every 10 years thereafter. This is to check for colon cancer. My husband is 72 and was recently told that he doesn't need to have any more, since he had a normal one last year.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Oh yeah definitely colonoscopy's are very important once you reach 50 it's like not going for a pap smear. I kept yelling at my mom because she kept putting it off she finally had one done a couple months ago and everything was fine. These are the tests that make sure we are in good health.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:12 pm

Nice timing on the subject:

One of my partners who is mid-50's just had his 1st colonoscopy yesterday, and they found early rectal cancer The Doctors are quite optimistic that they caught it in time. If there ever was a reason to get scoped, this is it !!

Fire

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed May 13, 2009 11:58 pm

My husband went into gastro for another problem (swallowing) and while there was told since he was over the age of 50 that he also needed to have colonoscopy at the same time as the endoscopy. He was furious as he had dodged the colonoscopy for about two years at his regular doctors request. Since he really was in no position to refuse he agreed. THANK GOD HE DID! It was found he had 4 polyps- three pre-cancerous and one just a plain polyp of old age- ha! The gastro said had he waited another year he would have had full blown colon cancer. He now has to have colonoscopies every two years. Amazing how you think you have one problem and it turns out another is worse than the one you are being seen about. It really is fortunate for us the swallowing problem presented itself or we would have been dealing with something horrid (killed my mother) in a few years. My husband is now an advocate for colonoscopy---my my how fear changes one's thoughts on things!
Cindy

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”