Ok freaked a bit, tetanus shot,topical antibiotic..

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sun May 10, 2009 11:15 am

These are some guidelines I went by, based on the fact that my tetanus booster was 15 years over due, I am at least glad I did that step.

-Clean the wound immediately with soap and water, rubbing alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide

-Put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding.

-Hold the wound above your heart if the bite is on your hand or arm.

-Place a clean bandage over the wound.

-Assess the wound for signs of infection: unusual redness or swelling, increasing warmth in the area, red streaking, or fever. See a doctor if signs of infection develop.

- Get a tetanus shot if your primary series is incomplete or if it has been more than five years since your last shot.

-Determine the rabies vaccine status of the cat. The cat should be observed for 15 days to see if it develops signs of rabies if its vaccine status is uncertain.
Hoping for a cure.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 10, 2009 11:52 am

With animal bites doctors always give a tetanus shot if it is more than 5 yrs. - not sure why, but better safe than sorry. Now you don't have to worry if it happens again.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Thx., Suezer, for the tips: things we all need to know to prevent infection, as we don't want to take antibiotics.

I am going to update my tetanus shot. Anyone who works in the yard a lot (I do) & might be scratched by a rusty nail or other object should keep up tetanus shots. I, too, have led this "slide" to make way for other problems. Always something!!!!

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue May 12, 2009 1:34 am

sks001- I remember getting tetanus as a child and boy did it make my arm swell up, get red and hurt! I have had several since that time but definitely not every 10 years as advised. With all my luck these days I might be smart to check into it. GEEZ
Cindy

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”