Ok freaked a bit, tetanus shot,topical antibiotic..

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Ok freaked a bit, tetanus shot,topical antibiotic..

Postby Suezer » Thu May 07, 2009 3:22 am

So it is 2:20 am I just got home from the ER due to my cat tried to bite me (playfully/hyper) while I walked into my room, no bleeding,looked like a scratch but I am paranoid about infections so I went and got it checked. They said it looked superficial,scrubbed it, put topical antibiotic on it and told me to keep it clean and covered for 2 days.
Then I had to get a Tetanus shot, I made the Dr. SWEAR to me this would not aggravate my C Diff/treatment.

Anyone with any experience in such matters re: tetanus shots/topical antibiotics?

Thanks! I am tired and going to try not to worry about this!
Hoping for a cure.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu May 07, 2009 8:14 am

I personally have zero concerns when it comes to the topical antibiotics. I had MRSA relapse during my c diff and after recovery. I had to use prescription topical antibiotics twice a day for 2 months. I even had to put it in my nose twice a day for 2 weeks so I am sure alot of it drained down into my stomach. I had no problems with it. I know there is another lady on here who did the same thing having to put it in her nose and she also did fine. I personally think it better to use little antibiotic gel then to mess with mrsa or staph because they require oral antibiotics to treat. Don't know anything on the tetanus. I personally would imagine it would be okay.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:41 am

I don't know about tetanus shots and C-Diff, but I wanted to say that you shouldn't freak out to much about a surface level cat scratch. I have had cats since I was born, probably over 10 total (they eventually run away or I assume get killed by wild animals, hence why I've had so many) all outside cats and I've been scratched innumerable times. Really I've lost count and the scratches have varied from deep and bleeding to the more common surface scratch/bite.

Not once have I ever gotten an infection from a scratch with some basic daily care. Soap and water to wash it first, then put some hydrogen peroxide on it every day for a few days and you are good to go. No need for an ER trip, because when you go there the doctors will either want to give you "something" like a tetanus shot or you might pick up something in there! Plus, you get that lovely $50-$100 charge, even with insurance.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Thu May 07, 2009 11:57 am

Well this has gotten way out of proportion I sort of wish I had not gone to the ER,now they may quaranteen my cat! He is a house cat,always was, a pure bred Rag doll. He didnt get his last "booster" for rabies so they are making a big deal out of this now, I guess it is "procedure" and I know my cat does not have rabies,there are no bats in my house and he would probably run from a mouse. The bite was more of a scratch from his tooth, (he did not actually bite into me..I was walking and he leaped at my leg)he gets real hyper/playful in the wee morning hours. He actually has done this before a few years ago..but back then I never worried about infections like I do now.

I have to call the Sgt. of police that was at the ER with me last night, to get him to ok it for me to do a home quaranteen (basically leave my cat alone) I will also have to take him to the vet now. Bills bills bills...

Trob,Had I never gotten C Diff I would have done exactly like you described.
Hoping for a cure.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Thu May 07, 2009 2:05 pm

Ah Roy, I knew about the cousin thing. =)

I actually wondered early on if the fact that I was 15 years over due for a Tetanus booster, contributed to my susceptibility to getting C Diff. I know sounds strange but I considered every possible scenerio early on.

And you are right-- no "yum yums" (what we call them in our house) for Tazz tonight! I just pray they dont make me put him away somewhere for 10 days! He is sitting beside me purring and looking quite innocent,despite the little devil that he can be at times!
Hoping for a cure.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 07, 2009 2:12 pm

Suezer,
Wouldn't worry about a topical antibiotic -- UNLESS it contains Clindamycin-- which would probably be a script med. Neosporin & others like it should be fine. If still in doubt, check with your pharmacist.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri May 08, 2009 3:28 pm

Good news, Tazz does not have to go away, he is quarantined @ home, but has to visit the Vet 3 times over the next 10 days ..yikes, this little incident sure snowballed into an unexpected big expense!

The tetanus shot has not bothered me, and the topical antibiotic is working fine also, thanks for the supportive replies!
Hoping for a cure.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:00 am

I agree with Trob. I've had cats all my life, mostly indoor, but a couple roamers, and I've never even gone to a doctor for a surface scratch from any of them.

Hope you have really good insurance that will pay for an ER visit for this when they receive the bill and see what it was for. Most insurance would only cover a dr. visit for a scratch and tetanus shot; or possibly an Urgent Care that only charges $100 for a visit. Never seen an ER visit for anything less than $1,000 to $1,500 just for any minor physical injury like a sprained ankle, or illness like the flu, etc.

You said you were 15 years overdue for a tetanus booster. Didn't even know people are supposed to get tetanus shots unless you step on a rusty nail or something, and never heard of having to have boosters. Don't think I've ever had a tetanus shot in my lifetime.

Confused - is it the hospital that is insisting on the quarantine for what they called a superficial scratch? Why was the police Sgt. with you at the hospital?
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat May 09, 2009 8:42 am

The hospital called the police initially, I guess it is procedure when there is an animal bite. It was after examintation it was found to be superficial. The whole thing really was uneccessary. I think I just panicked, and now I am regretting it. Probably would have been just fine with the peroxide I used.(A year ago that is all I would have done any way.)

Chalking it up to a lesson learned, and an expensive one at that.
Hoping for a cure.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sat May 09, 2009 6:40 pm

SKS001- Doctors say you should have booster for tetanus every 10 years. I can not say I have been very compliant with that though!
Cindy

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Thanks a lot, Cindy, for clarifying that. I'm sure that's way down on your list of priorities - lol.

Guess I never knew about it as I can count on one hand the number of times I ever went to a doctor in my life until almost 2½ years ago for gallbladder removal. then C-Diff, and getting Peripheral Neuropathy from Flagyl.

Wonder at what age supposed to get initial tetanus shot and why. Don't remember any of my family when they were alive ever getting one, nor any of my friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc.

Never to old to learn something new.
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:39 am

They give those tetanus shots to babies as part of the vaccinations they get. Used to be at 2, 4,6, 12 or 18 months and then again before you start school at around age 5. After that it is every 10 years, but I don't know of many adults who get that unless they have a deep wound or an animal bite. My husband was bitten by a dog and had to get one and I think I got one when I got a deep cut.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Sun May 10, 2009 1:23 am

I remember getting my tetanus shot before kindergarten, then a booster when I was 16, but that was the last one I ever had. I'm at 10 years from that point now.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sun May 10, 2009 1:59 am

Thanks a lot Beth for that info - appreciate it. Did not know it was part of childhood vaccinations like for measles, chicken pox, etc., as I never had children. Went through a really early change in my 20's and In Vitro Fertilization & other types of artificial conceptions were not even heard of way back then. Thought only got a tetanus shot for an open wound, especially by metal, or any type of deep animal bite, both serious enough to require stitches, to prevent lockjaw.
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 10, 2009 3:14 am

Sandy - You probably had a tetanus shot as a kid if you had any kind of vaccination. They give it together with other things as a combination shot. When I was little you couldn't start school without the immunizations, but nowadays some schools let you sign waivers. But, you're right - as adults most people wouldn't think to get a tetanus shot unless it was for a deeper wound, or one that had a lot of dirt in it, as tetanus is found in the soil mostly. My friend gets cat scratches all the time and she hasn't had a shot since she was little either and she is now in her 50s.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”