Swine Flu

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Swine Flu

Postby anlockwood » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:02 am

I am trying not to be freaked out by the whole swine flu deal but man this thing is really really scary! We have young adults who live in our home, 21, 20, and 19. They pick up every illness possible and are not careful about spreading it. Grrr, I wish stuff like this just didn't exist.
Amanda

musicgirl180
Regular User

Postby musicgirl180 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:11 am

Yes, this story makes me want to wear gloves and hide from the world. I hope we learn more soon and I hope it's good news.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:12 pm

Dr. Oz was just on The View talking about the Swine Flu. Surprisingly, he said the face masks are not as effective as people think. He also recommended using the hand sanitizers gels after shaking someone's hand, and using it often all during the day.

In the 5 Sates with outbreaks, recommended staying away from work if you can, and keeping children out of school and daycare, and staying away from where crowds are congregating like sporting events, concerts, subways, etc.

Said by Friday, CDC should have a better handle and information on it.

Count Michigan as the possible 6th State. 34 year old woman had traveled to Mexico/Texas border and family and anyone she's been in contact with have been isolated. Just announced on Noon local news this case in Livingston County, which is a suburban area of Detroit, not too far from where I live.
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:34 pm

In the 5 Sates with outbreaks, recommended staying away from work if you can, and keeping children out of school and daycare, and staying away from where crowds are congregating like sporting events, concerts, subways, etc.

I only wish I could stay away from work but, in my opinion that is going a little to far.

Well folks I am with you it is very scary. Being a in the health care field I am surrounded by germs...ie: Cdiff! Gee where in the world could I have gotten it from?? HAHA!! I live in one of the 6 states (Ohio) that have confirmed cases. I live very close (to close) to the 2 countys in Ohio that have confirmed cases. From what I had heard on the news last night there is a 9yr old boy in ohio that has it. He was in Mexico visiting relatives and when they came home he got sick. They said he is at home and has a very mild case and for the most part doing fine. So the good news is, is that the people in the United States seem to be getting a much milder case of it and most of all that no one has died from it here so far.

The hospital that I work at thought we might have a case of it but, we were told that the patients test came back negitive. We are amping up on all of our disaster procedures just in case of a epidemic or pandemic.

Try not to panic/freak out to much. I will keep you guys updated on anything that I hear or learn at work about it. I will tell you what I hear because it is going to be all the stuff that you dont hear in the media!

I agree it is very scary and a cause for concern but, try not to panic.

Wash your hands,wash your hands,wash your hands! As often as you can and when out in the public I would suggest taking sanatizing clothes with you and wipe of grocery carts,shopping carts ect...
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Bobbie
Administrator

Too much "hype?"

Postby Bobbie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Yes, it is scary,but we can't do much about it except take the normal precautions -- wash hands, etc.

The 24-hr. news coverage "overplays" everything. They tell it again, again, & again. We've had tormadoes in KS & between the weather warnings & the swine flu warnings, it is too much.

I'm going to live my life regardless. You could stay isolated & barricaded in your house & get an infection from "germs" on your mail or a repair person.

We are going to the UK the end of August to visit our son & his family, I am not excited about being on an airplane all those hours with recycled air, but I want to see my grand kids.

Best to limit the amount of news you watch. Many years ago, we had a big scare about the Asian flu (? -- so many years ago I'm not sure I remember correctly.) My younger son was a baby & in frail health. I was immunized as was my older son. The "outbreak" never occurred -- some did have side effects from the immunization.

I have a friend from Mexico. She has relatives in Mexico City & said it is bad there because it is so congested. Many are so poor they don't have water or soap to wash their hands.

Sure, it's scary, but don't dwell on it. "Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you."

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Very well said Bobbie! I could not have said it better myself :O)
Heather

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:42 pm

Sorry folks - I must have been thinking & typing too fast as I left out a portion of the talk from Dr. Oz. It should have read:

In the 5 States with outbreaks, IF YOU LIVE IN THE IMMEDIATE VICINITY OF THE OUTBREAKS, recommended staying away from work if you can, and keeping children out of school and daycare, and staying away from where crowds are congregating like sporting events, concerts, subways, etc.

I agree with you Bobbie about the 24 hour news, but it is a little scary, but more importantly, a little confusing with all the darn aggravating conflicting info. First it was 24 to 48 hour incubation when you can still be contagious, now it's been changed to 5 to 7 days. Strange so many cases and deaths in Mexico, but US cases are mild, which I'm sure is probably because of the hygeine you said. Plus Mexico is notarious for pig farms where they are raised in and kept in cages so tiny they can't even turn around making a breeding ground for viruses and the poor people that work on them.

Most experts (ID docs and CDC) say this is rare this time of year as any type of flu doesn't like warm weather, and that it is documented that most lie in wait until winter and comes back more virulent then, so they will include this strain in next winter's flu shots. Normally takes 9 months, but CDC and labs will be tripling efforts to get it done before late Fall.

Bobbie, know what you mean about the swine flu & weather at same time. We had horrible thunderstorms, lightning, high wind, hail, etc. that left power lines down, trees uprooted, roads blocked, and over 100,000 people w/o power in just two counties. So scared that I packed a bag in case had to be evacuated. Was glad I had purchased a bunch of those nice Flameless Candles that run on batteries so can't fall over and catch anything on fire.
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:49 am

Yep, hate to turn on the news to see what disaster is going to "befall" us next. I drove during the tornado of l975 in Omaha -- scary. My younger son was 3 months old -- just got out of the hospital. He almost died -- had gastroenteritis. He couldn't tolerate any formulas so I contacted the La Leche Society & mothers were hand-expressing milk. I was picking it up & when I left the house there was only a thunderstorm warning. When I got to one women's house, she said a tornado had been sighted so I should stay there. My MIL (now undearly departed) was with my kids. (She bragged she never went in the basement during tornadoes, & we lived in an area called "Tornado Alley.") I just wanted to get home to my kids. Drove during the whole thing. Had sense enough to stay away from downed power lines. A hospital was hit, & I follow a police car over the road divider to avoid debris. Went by the post office just before it was hit -- two were killed there. When I got home, our area was untouched, but I had 3 flat tires. Parts of the city were devastated, and we had a curfew for weeks. All these storms don't bring back fond memories.

Something is "gonna get us." Geez, which one should we chose: tornadoes or other natural disasters, swine flu, or C. diff.?

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:20 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew anymore about the antiviral medications like tamiflu. I was reading on the Mayo Clinic website and it says that these can also cause c diff. Just would like to know ahead of time if the dr ever tries to prescribe it to my son or myself.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:48 pm

I didnt know anything about it! I just got on WebMD and looked at the entire list of side effects and all be darned there its was listed under "Rare Side effects" Severe Bloody Diarrhea from Antibiotics!

It dosent specifically say "Cdiff" but, for those of us who have or who have had Cdiff, the point is pretty clear. I am glad you pointed this out I am going to have to remember this if my Dr ever talks about giving it to me I may just have to pass...lol!

I am glad however that you brought this up because today at work they told us not to take anything for the prevention of the flu ie: Tamiflu, Theraflu ect.. If you start taking this now your body is going to become resistant to it. So that if you do get the Swine Flu or even just the regular flu any medications are going to be rendered useless. They said the only thing that you should be doing right now is using proper hygiene habbits ie: handwashing,cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough ect..
Heather

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:08 pm

There's another side to this...the emergency responders. Did you know that when we arrive on scene that the patient under various privacy acts doesn't have to give us any medical history ? That includes HIV, AIDS, Hep-C and ect. No alert tags, nada... Isn't that just special ? Sometimes you have to wonder who's really at risk. Wash your hands !!!

Fire

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 02, 2009 1:45 pm

fire,
That is frightening. And you are the "good guys" & gals. You should know the patient's history for your own protection. This HIPPA junk is highly over rated. And it's supposed to protect the patient????

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:42 pm

Thanks, Roy, for the article. It's good that they mentioned C-Diff, except for stating normally infects elderly people during hospital stays or when they are on strong antibiotics. Too bad they didn't take it one step further for all the diseases and report how many infections per year, not just how many died.

Totally agree with Bobbie - that's outrageous. HIPA is supposed to protect people only from those that have no need to know your private medical info, not from medical personnel who are trying to help and treat you.

Fire - Thought you might like to know that I've had to call EMS many times in the last 2½ years. All were men and were so very kind and caring, and did everything to try to allay my fears and anxiety. I keep a typed list of my 4 medical conditions, prescription drugs, vitamins, insurance info, copy of both sides of driver's license showing donor info, etc., taped to the inside of my front door so can give them a copy. At the bottom of the page I have in large bold print "Had C-Diff - no antibiotics unless at death's door." Page can then be given to hospital staff.

By the way, besides being so nice, they were all just so darn cute. On way to ER, kept thinking ... wow, sure wish I was 20 or 25 years younger - lol.
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:00 pm

Sandy:

You're the kind of patient that we dream about !!! If only more were like you. I did a gentleman who took a fall and was bleeding. I asked if there was any medical history that I should be concerned with, His response was only 1 word...yes and wouldn't give any more information. When we finally got to thte bottom, it was something to be very concerned about. Sometime in the past folks weere told to put their directives (DNR Orders) in a jar and put them in the freezer for safe keeping. Just 1 small problem..what happens to stuff left in the freezer for a long time...it freezes together and you can't read it !!!!

Fire

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Sat May 02, 2009 11:02 pm

I understand peoples frustration with c diff not being more publicized but I am not sure we can compare that with the h1n1 virus(from Iowa and our state economy is in jeopardy because of the term swine flu). I fully understand there is nothing we can do about this and what is going to happen will but I don't think people realize what our government is preparing for. I found an article on Discovery News that was written before all of this started and it says the CDC estimates the next pandemic will kill between 89,000 to 207,000 people. C diff no where compares to those kind of numbers. Also not a single person has immunity to this virus which makes it so much more dangerous because pretty much anyone is suseptible. Also pandemics come in waves and the first wave is usually not as strong but the second wave which ussually happens a couple months later is more virrulent and deadly. This is how all 4 prior pandemics have worked. The last one killed 34,000 Americans. We may be looking at only one death now in the US which is so great that we have been that blessed but realisticly we could be looking at a lot more.

Sorry about my rant, just been keeping up with the news and have seen alot of people cracking jokes about H1N1 or about saying this is the politicians way of getting us to not pay attention to their other decisions. That seems ridiculous and I would be offended if someone was saying that about c diff.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”