cleaning

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
LindaSp
Contributor

cleaning

Postby LindaSp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:48 am

Yes, I am an addict to your site since my daughter has been fighting this awful infection...

But, I have a question of my own. How would I safely eradicate spores from my uniforms tha I might bring homw if there is not a color safe bleach product to wash them in ? I have tried regular bleach, yikes, lost a few dark colored scrubs! I thought Chlorox for darks had bleach, but I found out it does not, and they sent me an email that states they do not have a bleach product safe for colors. I have seen tide w/bleach but i don't like tide's smell, have always used cheer free..no perfumes please.

Would appreciate any answers you might have.
thanks so much,
Linda
ps..Kimberly is off 2nd round Vanco now for 10 days....cautiously moving forward....

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Honestly I think your best bet is just to use a detergent with bleach alternative and put your washer on the longest wash cycle possible, beyond that I am not sure there is a way to really kill them. Your best bet is try and just wash them off. Kind of like how it works with our hands. The soap doesn't kill them but the scrubbing releases them. I would say also if you have a second rinse cycle on your washer it could only help to increase the chance you are getting rid of it. Just an idea, gotta to say this one has always perplexed me. Scary all the people running around in hospitals with colored scrubs and knowing all of them could very well be carrying c diff.
Amanda

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:48 pm

Is there any reason why scrubs aren't white? Wouldn't that make more sense, anyway? Perhaps a movement to make all health workers wear white so clothes could be bleached would do as much to eradicate these infections (in hospitals as well as in the community) as the hand washing campagne. If your status or specific job is indicated by color, maybe different styles of dress would be adequate.

Don't worry, I'm addicted to thinking about things that can be done about eradicating and treating infections as well as to the site, on and off. Sometimes I have to just stop coming here for periods. I need to redirect the energy I put into this into other things at times.

LindaSp
Contributor

Postby LindaSp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks for responses! I was a nurse when we all wore white dresses, stockings, hats etc and stood up when the doctors arrived to give them our seats! I raised my kids when the doctor gave us antibiotics for an ear redness in case it turned into an infection...I must say I am glad we don't do some of it anymore, but the "bleach alternative" is misleading, I think and I told chlorox that with their color boost whatever....It was like someone on this site noted that bleach wipes usually don't contain bleach and my daughter was using them in DC w/her infection active...

Will keep on following this most informative site. It has helped us so much, and really, I want to see how everyone is doing at this point....

Linda

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:26 am

LindaSp,
Ah, you are from my era. My friends who were nurses wore "the whites" & were subservant to docs. -- but really ran the hospital after the docs. left after their "quick rounds." My sons' ped. gave antibiotics for everything & for a long time, you didn't know what antibiotic it was unless you asked before you picked up the script & God forbid you should question the doc.'s decision. "We've come a long way, baby."

I don't know about your question, but when my son had C. diff., I washed his clothes with the rest of the family' clohting. This was a long time ago. (l979 & again 6 yrs. later) however, when so little was known about C. diff. When I had C. diff. many years later, I washed my clothes separately from the rest of the family's clothing & used a separate bathroom.

I can see why you are concerned about clothing worn in the hospital. Why don't you ask the head of infection control? Surely, he/she would have some (?) knowledge? You might try calling your county home extension office.

Colored scrubs don't bother me as much as the long nails (with stars, etc. glued on them ) that some CNA's (& CMA's) wear in my mother's assisted living. (Also my mother's doctor's nurse). Who knows what is "lurking" beneath those long talons??

Good luck. You are a terrific mother. Let's hope this is the last round of meds. for your daughter.

Hope you are educating others in the medical field about how awful this infection can be.

LindaSp
Contributor

Postby LindaSp » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:12 am

Bobbie,
The talons are against rules big time because they do harbor all sorts of nasty things and they are so ridiculous looking too! Is it a Joint Commission Accredited Facility? Did you say it was a nursing home or daycare area?

I have told whoever will listen about this infection. They are getting the message!
Linda

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”