Post treatment Test results:Positive

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Post treatment Test results:Positive

Postby Suezer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:03 am

I was planning to go back to work today, the Doctor called me at 8:30 and said I am still positive and I need to take another round of Flagyl. I just want to cry. Now I am having also some cramping and a bit of loose stool, I was doing so good, I thought.

Is the Flagyl as bad the 2nd time around?
Hoping for a cure.

CDiffMommy
Regular User

Postby CDiffMommy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi there - I'm so sorry to hear about your positive test result. Have you talked to your doctor about going on vanco instead? I relapsed after a 10 day flagyl course, and my doctor then put me on a long vanco taper. It's been almost three weeks since I've been off of it and so far so good (even had a negative test result which was a first). Based on what I've read and have been told, once you relapse once on flagyl, they usually will switch to vanco & then do a taper or pulse (just speaking from what I've personally read and learned). Maybe you should discuss this with your doctor further before starting back on flagyl.
I know how bad flagyl can make you feel -vanco was great for me.
I'm so sorry you have to go through this - you will get through it - best of luck to you. My thoughts and prayers that you recover quickly.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:28 pm

I found that Flagyl was as bad the second time. Have you tried asking your doc for vanco? I felt much better on that. Also, some folks continue to test positive even after recovering. You might try waiting a few days to see if your symptoms get worse, before starting a new round of Flagyl (or vanco). Good luck.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:50 pm

I agree with Nancy. Also If you feel it's truly a relpase, ask your doc for Vanco!!!

If it is a relapse, I hope whatever you take kicks it out for you!

Wishing you well,

Karen

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Hello everyone, the reason I haven't asked about Vanco is because the Flagy stopped the D almost immediately for me, and even though I had a horrible die off recation in the beginning, I am not noticing any of that now after re-starting it this morning. It seems this RX does its job, maybe they should make the dose longer than 10 days to begin with.

It is hard however, because I have the "slow motion/dazed fatigue feeling with this, so it makes returing to work that much more impossible. I will see how it goes in the next days, if it is too much again I will ask about the Vanco. This is so frustrating.

I did start with lose painful BM early this morning, so I am sure the positive result was probably right, hopefully getting back on the meds will again ease that as well. To top things off it is my "time of the month" so I cant tell where the cramping is coming from, I just hurt all around my lower regions,back/front/left/right. So frustrating.
Hoping for a cure.

falco22
Contributor

2nd dose

Postby falco22 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Actually Mayo clinc guide lines are to do Flagyl a second time if it didn't cure you the first time. Vanco Per Mayo Clinic should only be used when Flagyl has failed twice. Good luck to you. I was cured after the second round of flagyl MAKE SURE TO FINISH IT AND TAKE PROBIOTICS.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:01 pm

I second Roy's advice. This could have very well been what is called a false positive. It means the test picks up c diff but you don't actually have active c diff. This has happened to many. The recommendation is to not treat unless full blown symtpoms reappear and this is only in the first 10-14 days and then after that retest only if symtpoms surface and treat based on results. Retesting after c diff is really pointless, it doesn't mean your cured of anything. You can have a negative and still end up relapsing or have a positive but not really have active infection. You can't beat this bug until you are off meds and you allow the good bacteria a chance to beat out the bad.
Amanda

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:31 pm

I understand Roy's point completely however, I have the god awful cramping and loose BMs I had in the first days of this, its been a rotten day, so I am continuing treatment per Dr. orders,especially considering I had basically none of this stuff after the 2nd day of the first round of Flagyl.

If I didn't have these symptoms I would have actually taken Roy's advice and waited it out. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

I am now back on the Brat diet at least til this cramping ect subsides. I cant afford to lose any more weight either.

At any rate I appreciate every bit of advice given here,and I will use it where needed.
Thank you -hugs-

//Sue.
Hoping for a cure.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:51 pm

Absolutely Sue, I would encourage you to do what you and your dr feel is best. That is always the best route. We are just offering advice so that you do know that when you come off the meds you are bound to have days with loose bm's and much cramping. Also lots of gurgling. There will be bad days where you swear it is back(even though it isn't) and there will be good days. I had so many times I swore it was back but it ended up not being. This is the fight that will go on in your stomach to try and overcome it after the meds are stopped. I pray that your battle will be over after this round of meds.
Amanda

Donna
New User

Postby Donna » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Hey suezer. I forgot to mention to you on our pm that i was 3 weeks off the meds when it came back. The Dr wanted to put me on Vanco but she told me I can't nurse while on it ( I don't know if that's true or not, conflicting stories ). So I pushed for the Flagyl again and my symptoms went away. I was on it for 14 days 3x daily, I can't remember the dose.
And now it's been 142 days since I finished the stuff. I still have bad days, yesterday was one as I told you, but I'm feeling better today. Remember to space your probiotics away from your flagyl, i didn't the first time, and make sure it's potent enough and continue when your dose is complete. I still take probiotics and probably will for the rest of my life.
I only got the metallic taste from flagyl, my body handled it well, mind you I had a new born so it was hard to tell the difference between side affects and new baby symptoms, lol.
Any ways I hope this helps.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks Donna, and of course all advise really does help.

I am still confused on what probiotics to try. I currently use Kefir. Acidophilus pill, Florastor(Jarrow brand of the yeast) cant find Florastor around here. And I eat yogurt,drink Danactive. Should I look for Culturelle? I hear alot mention it here.

Also,would Florastor, or the Acidophilus cause any cramping? Had alot of that recently after starting these 2 things,it was also after I stopped meds,(back on Flagyl now) so it is hard to tell symptoms from pro-biotic reactions.

Take Care!
//S.
Hoping for a cure.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:18 pm

IMHO what you have and are doing iis more than enuf!

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks Vike!

I decided today to start taking a multi vitamin, I feel extremely fatigued and I know it has to be due to I am not getting ""many" vital nutrients via food, so I also wonder if anyone has had any irritation from taking a regular multi vitamin with the meds/probiotics.

Hope all are enjoying a nice week end.

Take care!
//S.
Hoping for a cure.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:51 pm

Suezer wrote:I also wonder if anyone has had any irritation from taking a regular multi vitamin with the meds/probiotics.
//S.

Everyone is different, but that is one I'm currently trying to figure out. As I've mentioned, I developed PI-IBS after C-Diff and that resulted in my having a potassium deficiency. My general doc suggested that after my potassium pills, that I go on a multi-vitamin. So I bought one and took it for two days and on the third day I started have IBS symptoms, which have been on and off for 5 days now.

Granted, anything can cause these mini flares I get, anything, even foods that are usually safe, but it's causing me to be suspect because it happened right after I took them. When I recover from this bout for a week, I'll try taking them again and see if the same thing happens.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Suezer- Many people (me most definitely) have problems taking vitamins in that it messes with your stomach pretty bad. I tried every variety and could not tolerate any of them longer than 4-5 days without big problems. Finally pharmacist suggested ONE A DAY ESSENTIAL vitamins which only have the vitamins and not the minerals. I am able to take this one 4 days then skip 2 then take another 4 etc etc without problem. Each person is different. I also can not tolerate probiotics other than reuteri without problem but I think my system is just truly whacked out by this horrid bacteria.
Cindy

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”