Vancomycin feedback

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Deanne Lessley
New User

Vancomycin feedback

Postby Deanne Lessley » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 am

I really appreciate having this support group! After a week's treatment with Flagyl the C.Diff returned. I have just started a Vancomycin course of 250mg four times a day (Feb. 4, Wed.) and am scheduled to leave for Hawaii in 5 days. Is it really realistic to think I might be able to do that? I have about 5-6 bouts of diarrhea a day . How long does it usually take for the Vanco to kick in?
Thanks for any responses! Deanne

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:04 am

I had the worst form of cdiff and it took about two weeks to see any difference other than a slow down in frequency. By you going no more often than you are I would suspect that you will be like most and see real improvement within 4-5 days. All people react differently. Have a great trip!
Cindy

cjforrest
New User

Postby cjforrest » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi. I'm on my 4th bout of c diff since the summer and this is the 3rd time I've been on vanco. For me, vanco has kicked in and diarrhea stopped within 48 hours each time, even during my worst case. I still had some occasional loose stools, but it wasn't too bothersome. I'm hoping you're able to go to Hawaii for some relaxing, healing time in the sun. It sounds heavenly! Good luck!!

Deanne Lessley
New User

Thanks to responders. Vanco dosing info. "Cheap"

Postby Deanne Lessley » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:18 am

Thanks for the feedback from Cindym and cj forrest. I'm still trying to figure out how these postings work. We decided to delay the Hawaii trip for awhile since it was to be a mission trip that would have required working 40 hrs. a week and I just don't have my usual spunk. But it is "on hold". Once I got on the Vanco my diarrhea stopped in 2 days. I talked with a pharmacist at the hospital where I worked and he forwarded a telecast on C. Diff. that he had just attended. It was offered for CEU's for Dr.s, RNs and R. Phs. It shared some good info on current Vanco dosing, tapering doses and pulse doses....also a formula for fecal infusions!!
Is that the kind of info. that is shared here? If so, I'll be glad to forward it.
Another discovery, 90 pills cost me 1999.23. I found a pharmacy that can compound it (using I.V. Vanco). I will receive the equivalent of 60 pills for $90! Drawbacks: liquid form, needs to be refridgerated and stable for only 10 days.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:10 pm

Deanne,
The telecast that you mention about cdiff is definitely the kind of info that we share here. So please forward the link. Thanks!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”